PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Session switching problem

zigmo
May 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
I was running Ubuntu Karmic Koala in a Dell Optiplex 8200. I wasn't having any problems, but it was running a bit slow. To fix this, I loaded a new graphics card and loaded Lubuntu so I could use LXDE. LXDE worked fine, but the associations on PC Manager were broken, so I switched back to Gnome.
Ever since then, I've had a few problems.

1) The desktop image is black and all the icons that should be there are gone. If I browse to the Desktop via terminal (or Nautilus) everything is still there. If I view the desktop setting via the desktop setting control, it's set there, too. However, when I shut down/log out, I briefly see the desktop I set, before all goes black.

2) Printing is now VERY slow. It takes about minutes per page.

I assume there's some file I have to either edit or delete to restore the desktop appearance, but I can't imagine why printing is so off.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS - I was going to add tags, but I can't seem to type any in - weird.

Multi_User
May 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
1) The desktop image is black and all the icons that should be there are gone. If I browse to the Desktop via terminal (or Nautilus) everything is still there. If I view the desktop setting via the desktop setting control, it's set there, too. However, when I shut down/log out, I briefly see the desktop I set, before all goes black.

I'm having the same problem on 10.04 on my Eee Box machine and I didn't do any kind of special desktop customization or anything. It's still all Gnome.