PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Emerald Theme Managere Crashes

brad1138
May 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
I just upgraded to 10.04 (actually had to dl 10.04 iso and do full install, upgrading from 9.10 crashed). I am trying to use "Emerald Theme Manager" (which is a pain aside from the problem I am having) When I click on a theme I dl'd and installed, E.T.M. just vanishes, the theme does not switch and I am done. It takes about 1 second after clicking the theme and then gone, no error message or error reporting message.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

ajgreeny
May 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Start the ETM with terminal and note any error messages that appear if and when it crashes. That may give some clues.

brad1138
May 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Start the ETM with terminal and note any error messages that appear if and when it crashes. That may give some clues.

Ok, here is a copy of the messages, it is BIG

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_array_remove_index: assertion `index_ < array->len' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_equal: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file1)' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_hash: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_equal: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file1)' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_array_remove_index: assertion `index_ < array->len' failed

(emerald-theme-manager:2020): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_hash: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

Gtk:ERROR:/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.20.0/gtk/gtkfilesystemmodel.c:330:node_set_visible: assertion failed: (row < model->files->len)
Aborted

Hope that helps

Thanks,
Brad

ajgreeny
May 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm afraid that is not a lot of help, to me at least, though others may be able to assist more. I was hoping it would suggest some missing library or something similar.

All I can suggest is that you completely remove ETM with synaptic or purge with terminal and then try reinstalling. See what others say.

brad1138
May 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm afraid that is not a lot of help, to me at least, though others may be able to assist more. I was hoping it would suggest some missing library or something similar.

All I can suggest is that you completely remove ETM with synaptic or purge with terminal and then try reinstalling. See what others say.

Thanks anyway, how would I purge with terminal? I know about terminal, but not how to purge w/it

Brad

brad1138
May 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
I uninstalled "emerald" in SPM, restarted, reinstalled it, restarted again.... and same thing.:confused:

no_angst
May 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
it's a bug. been there since alpha... =(

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emerald/+bug/498130

brad1138
May 3rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
I tried "emerald --replace" which i found after Googling for the prob. It switched the theme to the theme I had selected in ETM just before it crashed. I had to run it in "run application" instead of "terminal", because in terminal, as soon as I exited term it would kill the change.

It is definitely a poor work around but it will work for now until someone has a better solution or Ubuntu fixes it.

Thanks,
Brad

metuceng
May 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
I tried "emerald --replace" which i found after Googling for the prob. It switched the theme to the theme I had selected in ETM just before it crashed. I had to run it in "run application" instead of "terminal", because in terminal, as soon as I exited term it would kill the change.

It is definitely a poor work around but it will work for now until someone has a better solution or Ubuntu fixes it.

Thanks,
Brad

i did alt+f2 and wrote "emerald --replace" and it works now with no problem

brad1138
May 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
i did alt+f2 and wrote "emerald --replace" and it works now with no problem

Mine still crashes but it also changes the theme.

brad1138
May 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Mine still crashes but it also changes the theme.

Actually I was wrong, it is just replacing the window boarders, not icons or anything else. :(

shutdown -h now
May 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have the same problem with emerald in 10.04, without the crashes tho. It only replaces the window borders.

EDIT: No wait, it does crash when I select a theme.

grumpy.medic
May 18th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Same here... crashes as soon as I select a theme. I wonder if Emerald will catch up to Lucid.

Cheers

Lylex11
May 28th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I'm running Lucid and have same issue as described above ... emerald theme manager crashes when I select a theme, but the theme is activated. I would like to access the theme controls.

diskmaster23
January 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I am surprised there is no solution to this. Anybody care to post a solution?

Frogs Hair
January 13th, 2012, 10:16 PM
There was/is a PPA that resolved some problems in 11.04 , but Emerald has been completely removed from 11.10. Any solutions for Emerald on 10.04 would be found on older blog posts and articles .

oldos2er
January 14th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Closed, necromancy.