PDA

View Full Version : JWM in Ubuntu

Ylon
May 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
I am try to use this very light and fast DM for Ubuntu. Combined with pcmanfm it's the ultimate tool for having my Lucid Lynx really fly. Now, I've just some two little problem I would find a solution in order for keep this as regular desktop. These:
sudo apt-get install jwm pcmanfm menu
are the three packages I am using for have a complete desktop (pcmanfm take the task to draw icons and wallpaper in the background)
Now, my problem is:

whatever I put in the ~/.jwmrc I lost the debian menu. What I had to put in the .jwmrc file in oder to keep it (my settings *and* debian menu)?

cariboo
May 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
This is a support request. moved.

chris4585
May 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
bump... since this thread is only 5 days old and I'd also like to know....

thanks

kerry_s
May 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
been along time since i used jwm, but i think you would use the "<Include>/etc/xdg/menus/debian.menu</Include>"

did you read the man page? (man jwmrc)

chris4585
May 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
been along time since i used jwm, but i think you would use the "<Include>/etc/xdg/menus/debian.menu</Include>"

did you read the man page? (man jwmrc)

It appears the man for jwmrc doesn't exist. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me, I probably didn't add it in the config right.. I looked in /etc/menu-methods a bit, and decided to just use the default jwmrc it gave me. Thanks

kerry_s
May 8th, 2010, 01:31 AM
It appears the man for jwmrc doesn't exist. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me, I probably didn't add it in the config right.. I looked in /etc/menu-methods a bit, and decided to just use the default jwmrc it gave me. Thanks

maybe it's "man jwm"?

Ylon
May 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
This is the "menu" part in my ~/.jwmrc

<RootMenu height="15" onroot="123">
<Program icon="rxvt.png" label="Terminal">x-terminal-emulator</Program>
<Program icon="firefox.png" label="Www Browser">x-www-browser</Program>
<Separator/>
<Include>/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu</Include>
<Include>/etc/xdg/menus/gnomecc.menu</Include>
<Include>/etc/xdg/menus/settings.menu</Include>
<Separator/>
<Restart label="Restart" icon="restart.png"/>
<Exit label="Exit" confirm="true" icon="exit.png"/>
<Program label="Shutdown" confirm="false" icon="exit.png">
/usr/lib/jwm/jwm-poweroff.sh
</Program>
</RootMenu>
The field between the separator are just empty

Ylon
May 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Still interested for the solution.

Salix0210
May 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
The /usr/share/doc/jwm/README.Debian file says:

"There is no automatic configuration which would add programs to the
menus. Edit /etc/jwm/jwmrc or copy it to personal ~/.jwmrc startup file."

But /usr/share/doc/menu/examples/ has some interesting stuff...

Ylon
May 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Well, I did notice that the "menu" package (sudo apt-get install menu) keep update all kinds of menu among all DekstopManager (JWM included).
Sadly, the menu package update only the file /etc/jwm/jwmrc and ignore my ~/.jwmrc.

It's there a way to make a easy script to put all stuff <rootmenu>...</rootmenu> in /etc/jwm/jwmrc and substitute the one in my ~/.jwmrc?
(or maybe set menu package to manage my personal settings)

jwm+pcmanfm (who manage the desktop also) is the perfect lowpower solution...the only thing that bore me is to update manually the menus)

XubuRoxMySox
May 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
The newest version of Puppy Linux is built on minimal Ubuntu Lucid (http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01595)! It uses JWM. You might have a look at it and see how they did it.

Enjoy,
Robin