PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to shutdown if weekend

sitush
May 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just installed 10.04 Server (32 bit) and got scheduled RTC wake-ups working with an ancient MS-6368 mobo/Award BIOS and using general info from this MythTV link (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup). Automating shutdowns using a crontab job will not be a problem as I've done this previously.

However, what I really need is a system that wakes up at 0700 ONLY if it is a weekday (or, if it wakes up and finds that it is a weekend then it immediately shuts down again). I guess:

query date
if date = any Saturday or date = any Sunday then
shutdown now
else
shutdown now + 10 hours

Are there any scripts out there that I might be able to modify to do this? Google has not been my friend on this occasion - although I have come across mentions of nvram, it looks to be dormant in support/development terms.

Advice much appreciated.

dino99
May 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
better to post on programming or server forum

sitush
May 2nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
OK thanks. I'll leave it a few hours before crossposting, just in case.

sitush
May 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Figured it out, in a botched sort of way.

Two crontab jobs, one running in the evening of Mon - Thurs and one running on Fridays. Jobs call scripts based on the link I referred to above that set the wakeup RTC alarm to 12 hours ahead and 60 hours ahead, respectively, and then shutdown the server.

I guess that over time there may be a bit of "creep" as the milliseconds to execute mount up but, hey, it's a start.

I guess it could all be done in one script but I come from a Windows background and need to get to grips with differences between batch and bash etc, which is one for a rainy day (we have a lot of them here...)