PDA

View Full Version : Remastersys - Important Message - Please read if you use remastersys

Fragadelic
May 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
This is Fragadelic the dev of remastersys.

Last night our complete webspace was hacked. My partner is working with the provider to clean it all up. As a result I have taken everything offline until it is resolved to ensure everyone's security and safety.

If you have downloaded anything from the remastersys repo since last night please do not use it. I will be restoring my backups shortly as I have been diligent about backing things up.

I need to take some time to audit everything prior to bringing it back online.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

If you have any questions you can email me at tb6517 At yahoo dOT com.

In the meantime if you want to get remastersys you can get it from my sourceforge site.

http://remastersys.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/

praveesh
May 2nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ok . And Iam sorry to hear that your system was hacked.

WinterRain
May 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Please keep us informed of when things are back to normal. I was just about to download it. Thanks.

Fragadelic
May 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
If you want a copy of remastersys during this outage, please email me and I will email it back to you.

The hosting provider has been completely hacked at the server level so I took everything offline. I am looking for a new hosting provider right now and will try to have things back up as soon as possible.

In the meantime the only thing I could do was to inform all of you.

The hack injected some stuff on the php files that directs to malware sites. For linux users this is not an issue but for windows users it is a very bad thing so I just took it all offline and it most likely will not come back up on the same url as I don't trust the provider any longer since they are denying they have any issues. My partner who actually owns the contract has been in contact with other website owners from that same hosting company and they are all having the problems.

I will not be having shared hosting and will establish my own entire web presence very soon.

Fragadelic
May 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
My system and all my files are intact as I have always had an offline copy that I upload from so rest assured that everything is ok. I most likely will not bother touching any of those files on the current server and will just delete them all since I have a pristine offline backup anyway.

I don't think any of the deb files are touched or affected since this is all about infecting windows machines but I am not taking any chances.

lisati
May 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
My system and all my files are intact as I have always had an offline copy that I upload from so rest assured that everything is ok. I most likely will not bother touching any of those files on the current server and will just delete them all since I have a pristine offline backup anyway.

I don't think any of the deb files are touched or affected since this is all about infecting windows machines but I am not taking any chances.
It's a pain in the posterior when something like this happens. All the best in your search for a hosting provider that you are comfortable with, and keep up the good work with remastersys.

Fragadelic
May 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Here is a security blog about the issue:

http://blog.sucuri.net/2010/05/second-round-of-godaddy-sites-hacked.html

MCVenom
May 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wow, I was about to use remastersys, it sucks that this has happened. I'll email you.

Fragadelic
May 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Well...it is not looking good for me having my own website.

Some less than nice company has registered remastersys.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/remastersys.com

This is complete and utter BS IMHO.

I will not pay a ransom to a domain squatter to get a name that I came up with and is only used by my project.

This was kind of the last straw. Remastersys is all but officially dead now. I don't need all of these extra headaches so I am just going to pack it in right now.

I apologize to those that have come to count on it and enjoy it. Those that have donated to my project will continue to get email support till May 1st, 2011.

No new versions will be put out to the public.

Phrea
May 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Well...it is not looking good for me having my own website.

Some less than nice company has registered remastersys.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/remastersys.com

This is complete and utter BS IMHO.

I will not pay a ransom to a domain squatter to get a name that I came up with and is only used by my project.

This was kind of the last straw. Remastersys is all but officially dead now. I don't need all of these extra headaches so I am just going to pack it in right now.

I apologize to those that have come to count on it and enjoy it. Those that have donated to my project will continue to get email support till May 1st, 2011.

Dude, don't kill the program itself, you can always host it on sourceforge.
I am sorry you might have lost your domain[s], but theres always alternatives.
Do NOT give up please, we need you and this program.

jdong
May 3rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
Wow man, that sucks. I join Phrea in asking you to consider continuing your valuable work. It's unfortunate how prevalent 0day attacks are against these setups, and yes, how automatic domain squatters love taking names of existing projects.

Even without a website, I suggest hosting your code using one of the several reliable free code hosting hosts, such as Google Code, Github, Launchpad, SourceForge, and so on.

Fragadelic
May 3rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I've sent an email to nameking.com requesting they surrender the name that is associated with my trademark and intellectual property and will see where that goes. I am not willing to pay a ransom or engage in a legal battle for it.

I'd rather just leave it as is and move on and if I get nowhere with nameking.com I will just stop it all rather than waste my time with it.

Yes it sucks but I am not one for BS. I am a straight shooter and am always upfront about everything. This kind of sneaky behaviour doesn't sit well with me.

I do have a sourceforge account but they place too many restrictions on using it for everything so I am forced to have an external website.

The only way I will keep it going is if I can get the remastersys.com domain name and secure reliable hosting. I am not willing to jump through hoops to accomplish this though.

Fragadelic
May 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I've updated my sourceforge site so you can get the deb files for remastersys from there:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/

praveesh
May 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've updated my sourceforge site so you can get the deb files for remastersys from there:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/

Thanks .

Fragadelic
May 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
For the time being I will have the sourceforge remastersys site up and host files there.

The downside is that there is no repository any more and the forum is limited to what they have there but that's the best I can do for right now.

If I get the domain issue resolved then I should be able to restore things to how they were before.

psych1610
May 4th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I too hope you will be able to continue this project. I've never had the opportunity to use it (until I went looking for it just yesterday). Thankfully I stumbled across this post and can get them at sourceforge now.

steveneddy
May 4th, 2010, 04:48 AM
The website doesn't need to be remastersys.com

make it something else

fragadelic.com

omg.com

pinkponies.com (my favorite)

Riffer
May 4th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Remastersys.net

Remastersys.org

Remastersys.biz

Could you post that email address, if you don't mind I would like to add my voice and send a complaint to is person.

Megaptera
May 4th, 2010, 06:55 AM
How about:
theonlyremastersys

realremastersys

trueremastersys

I really have found remastersys to be fantastic as it's so straightforward to use!!

I too really hope you can keep it going, and thanks for keeping us updated.

helliewm
May 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I do hope you keep the project going. It is excellent. I will be so sad if it dies.

Thank you so much for all hard work on Remastersys. It is really appreciated.

Helen

Fragadelic
May 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Right now I have everything up on Sourceforge. There is no debian repository and sourceforge kind of forbids it from what I can tell so I'm not going to bother trying. The files are all there and I have set labels to make it easier for folks to tell what version of remastersys is for what version of debian and ubuntu.

I also put up my debranded version of mintmenu from linux mint. It just uses the default distributor-logo that is set in the gnome icons.

As for the domain name, I know I don't need remastersys.com but if I don't go after now who knows what can happen later down the road. It's more for my own protection at this point and I'm using the GPL license as proof of copyright and trademark with the company in question. I still have 2 more options if this doesn't go as planned. I can lodge a UDRP complaint with ICANN about it and maybe see if I can get some open source legal group to explain the GPL license to them.

I kind of think "Remastersys" is a catchy name and came up with it myself back in 2007 so I would like to keep things that way.

I guess you can say I'm taking a stand for what is right. Domain Squatting is now illegal if you can prove you are the owner of the trademark/copyright associated with the name and I believe I can with the GPL license I released remastersys under.

This has been very frustrating to say the least and even though it really took the wind out of my sails at the beginning it has now given me more of a reason to endure and ride this out to completion.

In the end I will be happy and those that use remastersys will be able to continue using it.

praveesh
May 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Right now I have everything up on Sourceforge. There is no debian repository and sourceforge kind of forbids it from what I can tell so I'm not going to bother trying. The files are all there and I have set labels to make it easier for folks to tell what version of remastersys is for what version of debian and ubuntu.

I also put up my debranded version of mintmenu from linux mint. It just uses the default distributor-logo that is set in the gnome icons.

As for the domain name, I know I don't need remastersys.com but if I don't go after now who knows what can happen later down the road. It's more for my own protection at this point and I'm using the GPL license as proof of copyright and trademark with the company in question. I still have 2 more options if this doesn't go as planned. I can lodge a UDRP complaint with ICANN about it and maybe see if I can get some open source legal group to explain the GPL license to them.

I kind of think "Remastersys" is a catchy name and came up with it myself back in 2007 so I would like to keep things that way.

I guess you can say I'm taking a stand for what is right. Domain Squatting is now illegal if you can prove you are the owner of the trademark/copyright associated with the name and I believe I can with the GPL license I released remastersys under.

This has been very frustrating to say the least and even though it really took the wind out of my sails at the beginning it has now given me more of a reason to endure and ride this out to completion.

In the end I will be happy and those that use remastersys will be able to continue using it.

Thanks for all the hard work . To my best knowledge , you can , if you wish, set up a website at launchpad.net and can have a repository too . I have heard that launchpad offers much more flexibility than sourceforge .

Fragadelic
May 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
If anyone is interested, you can get the whois info from nameking.com.

SocialNetwork123
May 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Remastersys is all but officially dead now. I don't need all of these extra headaches so I am just going to pack it in right now.

I would suggest registering a different domain, under .info, .org or whatever.

I would also suggest you do reinstate all of your website pages on http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/ - just edit the content, so it has a banner headline advising of a new website/domain and delete all links to remastersys files on geekconnection.org

Don't let domain squatting frustrate your efforts, keep your old webpages online as this will ensure your high search engine ranking will be retained and can be used to make a good transition to any new domain name you choose to use.

I have run websites and done lots and lots of work for free, so I know how down hearted things seem, at times like these.

I have used bluehost as a web host in the past and I have used websites like http://www.watchthatpage.com to keep an automated eye on my website pages, to alert me to any unauthorised changes, I am sure there are other free services and software that can do this for you. Website based attacks are becoming a norm these days, so a defensive stance is needed.

Best wishes

PS: I would also recommend hosting files at launchpad, I find sourceforge rate of adverts annoying and I often get never ending non working download loops.

aysiu
May 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I understand your frustration, but whatever people link to is what's going to be used and referenced. That's all that matters.

I was a little irritated that psychocats.com was taken. So what did I do? I just took psychocats.net. No one looking for Ubuntu tutorials is going to go to psychocats.com. No one searching for them will find psychocats.com.

If you use remastersys.net or remastersys.info or whatever you end up choosing, we're all going to link to that, and it'll get better search page ranking, and that will be the page to go to. No one will go to remastersys.com.

Fragadelic
May 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Remastersys.com was transferred to me a couple of days ago free of charge. I'm just looking for a new host right now and redesigning my website a little.

Riffer
May 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
excellent what good news.

Phrea
May 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Remastersys.com was transferred to me a couple of days ago free of charge. I'm just looking for a new host right now and redesigning my website a little.

Great news, congratulations !!
I've got a bit of experience in webdesign [graphics], so if you are looking for a bit of an upgrade and would like some help, I'd be happy to help you.
Nothing fancy, just a little graphical upgrade can do wonders.

tom66
May 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
So how'd you get the domain name back? Did you just ask them? This could be useful for other people who find themselves in your situation. I've had several old domain names squatted - luckily no new names, yet.

MCVenom
May 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
So how'd you get the domain name back? Did you just ask them? This could be useful for other people who find themselves in your situation. I've had several old domain names squatted - luckily no new names, yet.
Seconded :p

colorlessprism
May 9th, 2010, 11:17 PM
thank goodness remastersys will continue. this program is the only program i recommend over and over and over. the work is truly amazing. i was thinking we would have to start a "save remastersys" campaign. keep up the great work/ we all appreciate the work you do

Fragadelic
May 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
The repository and forum are back up at the old url.

Still working on the new website though.

colorlessprism
May 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
thankyou thankyou thankyou

psych1610
May 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM
This is great news!

MCVenom
May 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Frag, if you don't mind, we'd really like to know how you got your domain back. It could help others who find themselves in a similar situation. :p

ukripper
May 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
For the time being I will have the sourceforge remastersys site up and host files there.

The downside is that there is no repository any more and the forum is limited to what they have there but that's the best I can do for right now.

If I get the domain issue resolved then I should be able to restore things to how they were before.

How about having a PPA on launchpad? Not sure if they have iso download facility on there?

JedMeister
June 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
How about having a PPA on launchpad? Not sure if they have iso download facility on there?

+1 for a PPA, at least for Ubuntu repo. Obviously its entirely up to you, but it makes sense to host it as a (free) PPA IMO.

Regardless of what you end up doing, I'm glad that it sounds like you've got it all under control. Out of curiosity have got you an ETA for your new web site? - remastersys.com is not loading and geekconnection.org is currently parked...

Fragadelic
June 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM
It was up and now its down again. The host decided we were breaking the TOS by having a forum even though we had cleared it with them in the beginning.

My sourceforge site is still up.

timur_ba
June 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have no idea about differences, but I'd support PPA.
Just to add, Remastersys is great.

Pinoy Tux
June 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
It was up and now its down again. The host decided we were breaking the TOS by having a forum even though we had cleared it with them in the beginning.

My sourceforge site is still up.

No wonder I kept getting errors yesterday. :( Thanks for the head's up! Yeah a ppa and sourceforge solution would be nice -- more stable I guess. :P

Fragadelic
June 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure a ppa would work since I also have stuff for debian.

My site is back up and the repo is back online.

colorlessprism
June 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
hooray for fragadelic

JedMeister
June 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the update. Yes PPA is only for Ubuntu AFAIK. I imagine it would work if you had a package that could install on either (Debian or Ubuntu) you'd be ok but otherwise - no joy there.

Glad you got your site back up. Keep up the good work :)

anantshri
June 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
for those looking for ppa

I found a ppa repo that has it though:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/unstable-vdr/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/unstable-vdr/ubuntu lucid main

reference comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9215746&postcount=3

evilducy
June 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Tried to download remastersys and got the following, when installing from the software center.

Requires installation of untrusted packages
The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

What gives?? Is it safe to force it through using Synaptic??

JedMeister
June 18th, 2010, 01:54 AM
AFAIK It just means that you haven't added the security key for the repo that you are getting Remastersys from. If you trust the source then its fine to ignore.

Timmer1240
June 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Thats Great news!So happy its gonna work out for you Im going to try out remastersys to make a backup of my system thank you for your great program and good luck in the future!