PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Fresh install, Ubuntu plus kde, kde wont start

swiggy349
May 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
I installed the release version of Lucid a couple of days ago (clean install). I still cant decide whether I prefer gnome or kde so I installed the gnome version, then just

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

to install the kde desktop. I chose to keep the gnome login display manager, exactly the same as i did for karmic a few months ago. Then trying to log in to kde I get the message

Re: kstartupconfig4 does not exist or failed. The error code is 3. Check your install.

then Im back to the login screen. Gnome works fine. This wouldnt be too big a problem, Im quite happy using gnome but none of the KDE apps work either, and Im a big fan of Kile in particular. If I try to start any KDE app i get a whole host of error messages, along the lines of

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Configuration file "/home/steve/.kde/share/config/kilerc" not writable.
Please contact your system administrator.

with various files being the subject of concern depending on what app it is, kdialog then crashes, a few more errors about files not being writeable, another kdialog crash then finally the app itself crashes. (All these crashes are reported by the kde crash handler).

As i said, fresh install and I dont have any unusual set-ups, just the one user account on a several week old laptop thats a pretty decent spec. I have read about problems with user permissions since i installed kde as root? these are all relating to older versions of ubuntu however.

laidbackwebsage
May 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Bump

I'm having the same problem...