PDA

View Full Version : How did Lucid Lynx ever get accepted!?

arsenic23
May 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Every time someone makes a thread about the new version and calls it 'Lynx' instead of 'Lucid Lynx' or 'Lucid' the first thing my mind jumps to is, "the browser?". It's slowly grinding my poor mind to dust browsing forum topics.

"How do I download and install X in Lynx?" and my mind starts to spin.
"Can't he just use wget? Oh, wait, yeah Lucid. Why can't I stop doing that?"

I suppose most people haven't used lynx the web browser and so it doesn't bother them even a tiny bit, but I spent 3 years administering a bunch of servers and lynx was all I had to get on the web from that location. I more then likely typed it millions of times to gain web access over that time. It's burned into the front of my skull.

Paqman
May 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm still annoyed the last LTS wasn't called Hungry Hippo.

arsenic23
May 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'm still annoyed the last LTS wasn't called Hungry Hippo.

Couldn't there be a trademark problem with that name though?

dr_gap
May 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Every time someone makes a thread about the new version and calls it 'Lynx' instead of 'Lucid Lynx' or 'Lucid' the first thing my mind jumps to is, "the browser?". It's slowly grinding my poor mind to dust browsing forum topics.

Good point. Hadn't noticed.

The animal names have been turning my mind to dust from the get-go. I'm alphabetically challenged, and I have to count on my fingers whenever I read an animal name. I can't remember the current animal. Better than the situation with OS X, though. Which friggin cat goes with which version?? At least we're in alphabetical order over here. "10.04" is perfect. If I were king of the universe I'd ban code names outside of the development lab.

So please, dear readers, when posting to the forum include the version number along with the mammalian moniker.

Paqman

SABDFL could arm wrestle somebody from Hasbro for it?

Megaptera
Is the next one 'Manic Meerkat' or something like that?
I think 'Lascivious Lama' would have been good for 10.04 but for some reason .....!!!

VitaLiNux
May 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Is the next one 'Manic Meerkat' or something like that?
I think 'Lascivious Lama' would have been good for 10.04 but for some reason .....!!!
FYI, it's Maverick Meerkat. I wonder who are in charge of the naming of every Ubuntu release... :confused:

Paqman
May 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
I wonder who are in charge of the naming of every Ubuntu release... :confused:

I've heard the folks at Canonical head office sit down with a keg and a scrabble board, and nobody is allowed to visit the toilet until they've come up with something.

ttanev
May 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
FYI, it's Maverick Meerkat. I wonder who are in charge of the naming of every Ubuntu release... :confused:
I think everyone can propose a suggestion:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

Well, not every suggestion is preferable of course :)

Would a Vicious Vixen be too much for 15.04? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/htdocs/ubuntu/img/redface.png

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
In previous versions it seemed people always referred to it by the adjective. For some reason alot of people seem to be using the noun for this release. Wonder why.

jetsam
May 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
It does remind you of the browser, but it's also just a short associative jump to that Beatles song...

No, not that Beatles song!

The other one.

alket
May 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
In previous versions it seemed people always referred to it by the adjective. For some reason alot of people seem to be using the noun for this release. Wonder why.

It sounds good.

oldos2er
May 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Every time someone makes a thread about the new version and calls it 'Lynx' instead of 'Lucid Lynx' or 'Lucid' the first thing my mind jumps to is, "the browser?".

Same here. When I first started using the internet, it was Lynx or nothing. Those were the days!

bunburya
May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I generally use the 10.04-type name. I think it's genius TBH.

"When was 10.04 released?"

"Aha!"

coffeecat
May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
So please, dear readers, when posting to the forum include the version number along with the mammalian moniker.

Last time I looked, drakes, efts and herons were not mammals. :wink:

alexfish
May 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM

Ask the Lynx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx

Foster Grant
May 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
As long as Shuttleworth doesn't steal the name for Ubuntu 15.10 from Linus Torvalds' comment on Digg posters on the linux-kernel mailing list in 2008 (http://lwn.net/Articles/290498/ & scroll down to his postscript) I'll be all right. :lol:

Chrysaor
May 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I think Ubuntu should just drop the stupid mascot names. While it was kinda cute at the beginning, it is getting very confusing for everyone.

insane_alien
May 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
chrysaor, those are the development names, even microsoft has development names.

the PROPER name for lucid lynx is "Ubuntu 10.04"

Chrysaor
May 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I know they are development names, but the problem is they are used after development. Microsoft doesn't use Longhorn, Chicago, Blackcomb etc names after release. Apple is similar to Ubuntu, but they don't release every 6 months so its not that bad, and they are common names (panther, tiger, leopard etc) so not that hard to remember.

Heres is an example how bad it is for Ubuntu...
Lets say I want to install Gnome Global menu applet, I check their site, they have a Install Ubuntu wiki page with instructions.
http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/wiki/InstallingonUbuntu
All its mentioned there is mascot names, even repo names doesn't give any clue and I have no idea what version any of those names are, I have to specifically check what does are. Bottom line is its just confusing and frustrating for end users.

Lightstar
May 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Never heard of it.

Sporkman
May 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I've heard the folks at Canonical head office sit down with a keg and a scrabble board, and nobody is allowed to visit the toilet until they've come up with something.

:lol:

cometa2k7
May 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I've always quite liked the code names; they are far easier to say (and even type) than the numbers. It is strange that people aren't using the adjective though, as has been usual in the past.

Phrea
May 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
I do call it Lucid.

PS. And to get wider distribution for this message: Digg users - you're
all a bunch of Wanking Walruses. And you can quote me on that.
Hilarious, albeit a bit insulting.
I think a good portion of this site use Digg [although maybe not call ourselves 'diggers']. There is even a bookmark thingy on the bottom left, to submit threads directly to Digg.

Rasa1111
May 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
i call 10.04 Lucid also, and 9.10 Karmic..
but i dont think it's strange people are using the shorter name for each release..
i think people automatically use the word that's shortest and 'easiest' to say.

kar-mic~ 2 syllables, "easier"
ko-al-a- 3 syllables

lu-cid~2 syllables
lynx~ 1 syllable. "easier"

simple humans we are. :lol:

:D

NCLI
May 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
I think everyone can propose a suggestion:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

Well, not every suggestion is preferable of course :)

The SABDFL(Mark Shuttleworth) decides the codename.

alexfish
May 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM

PS: AND THE KEG IS SPIKED WITH LAXATIVE \\:D/

OH "S**T" I've let the beans out of the bag

Foster Grant
May 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
I do call it Lucid.

Hilarious, albeit a bit insulting.
I think a good portion of this site use Digg [although maybe not call ourselves 'diggers']. There is even a bookmark thingy on the bottom left, to submit threads directly to Digg.

Ah, but would you download the Wanking Walrus in late 2015? :D

The background: It followed by a few days another message on the kernel list. During a discussion on security, Linus said that the backers of a BSD flavor, a group which makes such a big deal about the security of their OS that they admit no other feature matters to them, are "a bunch of masturbating monkeys." It blew up Digg. :lol:

OBTW ... nice to see a geek code block. :)

cometa2k7
May 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
i call 10.04 Lucid also, and 9.10 Karmic..
but i dont think it's strange people are using the shorter name for each release..
i think people automatically use the word that's shortest and 'easiest' to say.

kar-mic~ 2 syllables, "easier"
ko-al-a- 3 syllables

lu-cid~2 syllables
lynx~ 1 syllable. "easier"

simple humans we are. :lol:

:D

However, you forget Dapper Drake, Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, and Intrepid Ibex. All were referred to by their adjective.

phrostbyte
May 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM

Mark Shuttleworth basically

superarthur
May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I just noticed it now, but Lynx does sort of look like Linux, maybe that's why newbies are using Lynx.

LINUX
LYN X

I and Y has the same pronunciation anyway, and if you are forced to pronounce NX, it sort of sounds like NUX.

3rdalbum
May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Some people refer to the Ubuntu release by the noun; I've heard people saying "Ibex", "Heron", "Eft", and "Koala". I can't say I've ever heard "Gibbon" or "Drake", though.

It tends to peter out a bit after the release; in a month or two everyone will refer to it as "Lucid" or simply "10.04".

alexfish
May 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Some people refer to the Ubuntu release by the noun; I've heard people saying "Ibex", "Heron", "Eft", and "Koala". I can't say I've ever heard "Gibbon" or "Drake", though.

It tends to peter out a bit after the release; in a month or two everyone will refer to it as "Lucid" or simply "10.04".

Naaaaa

LYNXY sounds better

Spelt LINXY

http://www.pippasimpson.com/cats/linxy.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/154/b/3/Lynx_Tattoo_refix_by_Jynxed_Lynxy.jpg

Bölvağur
May 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
I was surprised to see support questions about lynx as well.

98cwitr
May 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
What's up with the damn names in the first place? Double word, marginally comical, beginning with the same letter and moving down the alphabet? Is that the scheme here?

I have been wondering about this site too...is this a Java forum? No, what's the deal with the coffee/beans references?

Rasa1111
May 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
speaking of "Lynx"... [the browser]
I have recently been playing around with it in terminal..
(I wanted to see how you old skool peoples did it back in the day) :lol:

and even though it is all text.. it really is not a bad experience! lol

It reminds me of watching my dad 'read websites' with the very same kind of thing when I was a child. .... nostalgic i guess is what people call the feeling. lol

Paqman
May 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Bottom line is its just confusing and frustrating for end users.

Maybe for users that don't know the alphabet in English.

mmmichael
May 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I always liked the names until they jumped the shark with jaunty jackalope.

Ebere
May 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
It does remind you of the browser, but it's also just a short associative jump to that Beatles song...

No, not that Beatles song!

The other one.

Lucid in the Sky with Diamonds ?

Ebere
May 9th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I always liked the names until they jumped the shark with jaunty jackalope.

You would have preferred Jaunty Wankalope ?

;)

mmmichael
May 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM
You would have preferred Jaunty Wankalope ?

;)

It wouldn't have been any worse.
I stopped trying to switch friends to Ubuntu for 6 months because of that name.