PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 install - 1st SATA port not recognized as /dev/sda

calvinchu
May 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
My computer has 2 HDDs attached to 1st and 2nd SATA ports of my mobo respectively, the 1st SATA drive is empty while the 2nd have my Windows Vista on it. I also have a Perc/5i RAID card with 2 RAID arrays defined.

I am going to install Ubuntu 10.04 x64 to the 1st SATA driver (I expect it will be /dev/sda), but when I try to install, I found my drives are recognized as below,

/dev/sda > 1st RAID array of my Perc/5i
/dev/sdb > 2nd RAID array of my Perc/5i
/dev/sdc > 1st SATA drive < I need to install ubuntu on this drive
/dev/sdd > 2nd SATA drive

I don't want to install 10.04 as /dev/sdc because I may add more arrays to my raid card which from my experience of 9.04, it will probably change the drive letter of my current /dev/sdc and then system will fail to boot.

Is there any way to force my 1st SATA HDD as /dev/sda during install ? Many thanks !

Braincode
May 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have the same issue using one SATA drive as primary disk and an Adaptec 5808 with raid 5 array as storage disk. I had the same issue a year ago with Debian 5, and adding a new raid array brought me booting problems with the server. Previous version 9.10 did not had the issue.