PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 install issues

linnyjack
May 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
ive been using 10.04 since beta ive has a few minor problems mainly to do with ati drivers but nothing to major or unexpected, i had to change isps the week leading up to release day so on release day i had lots of updates waiting for me i installed them and my working install started playing around with me its hard for me to put my finger on exactly where the problem lies as its doesnt seem to be just one application or error it just seems to be all round bad performance , well ill explain and see what you think..

random applications eg empathy firefox and transmission go all grey on startup and fail to respond if i wait they do come back but ive never had this problem before and havent done for the past week before these updates the terminal doesnt grey out but it takes a very long time for the prompt to appear i mean i know it can take a few seconds sometimes if the pc is busy but its noticeably much longer.

also upon boot i get a purple screen with mouse cursor in the centre, the mouse cursor doesnt respond, it halts there for maybe a minute then the login selector appears and stays frozen for maybe another 2 minutes before letting me login.

so as i have no data i cannot replace on this machine i decided to try a fresh install of the final rls. but to my dismay im having trouble doing that too i downloaded and checked the iso
tried two burns and all that happens is it boots from the cd and shows me an ubuntu logo and just stays there .......

this is the first ubuntu ive been this stuck with since is started using ubuntu at 8.04 every version since including betas have worked on this box im just baffled ? any ideas or advice ?

the box im working with is p4 3.2 3gb ram ati hd2600

thanks

sanderd17
May 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Can you try booting with some other boot options? I would suggest

acpi=off

or some noapic option. To do this you should press a random screen at boot startup see http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004#Boot%20options%20hidden%20by%20default%20on%2 0Desktop%20and%20Netbook%20CDs