PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 live CD 'Installation Failed'

candtalan
May 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I decided to do a clean install of 10.04, the machine was previously running 10.04 from being upgraded day by day from a beta install.

I used checked good 10.04 live CD as live and gparted to delete a partition on sdb. My intention was to install into the largest free space on the drive, (which I ultimately did). There are two HDs on the machine, Windows on a partiton and a couple of installs of ubuntu on the first drive, the second drive had unpartitioned space and ext4 data partition and a swap.

I then restarted and after a space bar press, used the menu second option to install Ubuntu.

I subsequently saw an error window:

Installation failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

Just in case, I did the whole thing a second time, but same result.

I continued, using the subsequent desktop session. I chose the desktop Icon to install Ubuntu, which all then seemed to go ok

I am an experienced user, so I have confidence in Ubuntu, however, I believe new users would be suffering a loss of confidence at such situations.

phibxr
May 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I decided to do a clean install of 10.04, the machine was previously running 10.04 from being upgraded day by day from a beta install.

I used checked good 10.04 live CD as live and gparted to delete a partition on sdb. My intention was to install into the largest free space on the drive, (which I ultimately did). There are two HDs on the machine, Windows on a partiton and a couple of installs of ubuntu on the first drive, the second drive had unpartitioned space and ext4 data partition and a swap.

I then restarted and after a space bar press, used the menu second option to install Ubuntu.

I subsequently saw an error window:

Installation failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

Just in case, I did the whole thing a second time, but same result.

I continued, using the subsequent desktop session. I chose the desktop Icon to install Ubuntu, which all then seemed to go ok

I am an experienced user, so I have confidence in Ubuntu, however, I believe new users would be suffering a loss of confidence at such situations.

This was a known and reported issue almost a week before the final release.

Sadly, it wasn't fixed before release.

I still have it happen on my four machines, and while I know how to get around the issue (by using "nomodeset" at boot), it doesn't solve the problem for the ones who have never used Ubuntu before.

I've already had three people complaining about not being able to boot the installation CD due to this error. <_<

abhot
June 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
@ candtalan...
i had the similar problem....
I decided to do a clean install of 10.04,but every time i tried to boot with ubuntu 10.04 live cd
i got the error
i tried it twice but same thing happens.
then i installed it from the desktop session

everything was ok but my nvidia driver was malfunctioning , my boot time was also very high
i was very disappointed it took around 45s to boot...

then one of my friend told me to disable the floppy drive from the bios
when i did i was surprised to see that the error didn't occur
then i did a clean install
now my ubuntu is working like a charm..
hope this helps.....
:guitar:

-Shuji-
June 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
then one of my friend told me to disable the floppy drive from the bios
when i did i was surprised to see that the error didn't occur
then i did a clean install
now my ubuntu is working like a charm..
hope this helps.....Abhot, I guess I'm the first one to benefit from your post. I was having the same issue just a few minutes ago with an HP Evo N610c. I disabled the floppy from the BIOS and the error message disappeared. Thank VERY much.

Tryingtogetit
June 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I want to add my thanks. Who would have guessed that having a floppy drive defined in the BIOS (even a non-existent one as in my case) would stop the installation and cause an "unrecoverable error"???

and somehow windows xp was able to work around this for years???

So... Thank you. Now I can try to get past my first non-LiveCD load!

Toni

gregsmith
June 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hi,

I've never used Ubuntu before, but would like to switch. But I'm not too technically minded when it comes to computers.

I get a very similar problem when I try and install Ubuntu 10.04.

My computer is a six year old Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop currently running Windows XP. It seems to meet the requirements for Installing Ubuntu: 256MB Ram, 2GHz Pentium 4 processor, 20GB hard drive.

When I boot from the CD, it seems to work fine, then one of three things happens:

1. the screen either freezes, freezes with a cross shaped mouse curser, or endlessly cycles between a blank screen, a section of vertical white lines and some text showing the installation progress

2. I get the 'Installation Failed' message and then when I try to start a desktop session it goes to 1

3. I get to do a few steps of the installation process and then it goes to 1.

I've tried disabling all the other sources to boot from in the BIOS except the CD, but it hasn't made any difference.

Is there anything else I should try?

wilee-nilee
June 8th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Hi,

I've never used Ubuntu before, but would like to switch. But I'm not too technically minded when it comes to computers.

I get a very similar problem when I try and install Ubuntu 10.04.

My computer is a six year old Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop currently running Windows XP. It seems to meet the requirements for Installing Ubuntu: 256MB Ram, 2GHz Pentium 4 processor, 20GB hard drive.

When I boot from the CD, it seems to work fine, then one of three things happens:

1. the screen either freezes, freezes with a cross shaped mouse curser, or endlessly cycles between a blank screen, a section of vertical white lines and some text showing the installation progress

2. I get the 'Installation Failed' message and then when I try to start a desktop session it goes to 1

3. I get to do a few steps of the installation process and then it goes to 1.

I've tried disabling all the other sources to boot from in the BIOS except the CD, but it hasn't made any difference.

Is there anything else I should try?

Yes start your own thread, this one will be of little use. ;) It was started on May 2nd.

gabak
June 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
SOLVED!!!
I disabled the floppy from the BIOS and the error message disappeared.