PDA

View Full Version : How to keep linux script from over writing enviornmtent variables ?

youralibaba
May 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
#! /bin/bash
#SCRIPT FOR DISPLAYING INODE, FILE PERMISSIONS ETC OF COMMAND ARGUMENTS
for data in $@
do
set `ls -l`
echo "$1 $2 "$3"
done

echo "$@"

The sript above is executed:-
./script file1 file2 file3 file4 file 5...

The error is that instead of showing the inode etc, of the ALL FILES IN COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS, THE SET COMMAND OF LINUX OVER WRITES THE $@, so only "ls -l' of 1st commadn argument(file1) is displayed. The script should display it for every file in linux directory. Plz specify the what is the thing done wrong in the script.

youralibaba
May 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Plz help linux gurus.

trent.josephsen
May 3rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
I don't really know what you're trying to do, but perhaps you should be using $data in the body of your for-loop? e.g. `ls -l $data`

(p.s. USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IS SHOUTING. Please use mixed case.)

soltanis
May 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Why are you trying to write a bash script? You can just do this:

ls -l file1 file2 file3...

At least that's what it looks like you're trying to do.

detroit/zero
May 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
#! /bin/bash
#SCRIPT FOR DISPLAYING INODE, FILE PERMISSIONS ETC OF COMMAND ARGUMENTS
for data in $@
do
set `ls -l`
echo "$1 $2 "$3"
done

echo "$@"

The sript above is executed:-

The error is that instead of showing the inode etc, of the ALL FILES IN COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS, THE SET COMMAND OF LINUX OVER WRITES THE $@, so only "ls -l' of 1st commadn argument(file1) is displayed. The script should display it for every file in linux directory. Plz specify the what is the thing done wrong in the script.
I'm not sure, but I think you have an extra quotation in the line I highlighted above.

If saving keystrokes is your aim, typing "./script" (8 chars) is more than just typing "ls -l" (5 chars). Since the script syntax is the exact same as the command being executed:

you're not really gaining anything.

Also, I note that your script contains the line I highlighted above

echo "$1 $2 "$3"
but, in the syntax you state

There is no file4 and file5 in the echo, so the way things are, you can't run this on more than three files at a time.

As someone else pointed out, having a script for this is sort of an exercise in futility.