PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 facebook notifications

hejfelix
May 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hello guys,

ubuntu 10.04 rocks, but I can't seem to get the facebook notifications to work. I can do the facebook chat, the broadcast message, I can even go and check facebook via the broadcast application, but I can't seem to get notifications on new messages from facebook to the notification applet on the top panel in ubuntu.

(You know, the little mail-icon should change color and pop up when someone writes on my wall or personal messages on facebook).

can someone clarify how this is meant to work, and/or how I can make it work :)

greetings
-Felix

Bumper44
May 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
I had the same problem. But then I realized you needed a facebook username, not your log in name. To get a username, just go to http://www.facebook.com/username. That solved it for me.

hejfelix
May 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
I only had that problem for "facebook chat", but I already made the username so I can go to facebook.com/username instead of some other obscure link. Also, I used that username while logging into gwibber, still no notifications for me. Only facebook chat notes...

Some other ideas?

Bumper44
May 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Well, I'm not a fan of gwibber so I use the online facebook. So other then that I really don't know what to tell ya.

hejfelix
May 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I like facebooks webpage too, but I would like for Ubuntu to tell me when I need to log onto facebook and check the new messages. I think this is the intention anyway:S

Bumper44
May 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Until you find a fix, you could try something like this - http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/141/26/

hejfelix
May 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
I will pass on that since the only satisfactory solution involves not adding more icons to my notification area. I want the envelope to go green or whatever whenever something happens, I can then click to see if its an e-mail, facebook message or whatever. I already know about those apps like gmail-notify and such which add their own icon to the panel. That is not really what I need.

Thanks anyway :) I hope someone else comes up with a solution for this.

Bumper44
May 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
I installed gmail-notify and it automatically went under the envelop icon. From what I can tell it works quite nicely with the envelop icon and integrates rather well.

austinjl
May 3rd, 2010, 06:51 AM
hejfelix,

I have the same issue. I have tried deleting and readding the Facebook account, but it does not look like notify-osd is getting any attempts from gwibber.

sexus6
May 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Same problem here. Two ubuntu fresh installs and there are not any notification from my configured facebook acount. Only when I post from gwibber to facebook, notify for facebook works.

Wanas
May 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Same here !!
It look like Gwibber still dont have the availability to get you the notifications from facebook its not supported yet.
I am looking for a stand alone application or waiting for the new gwibber release !!

buckminster
May 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Same here from a fresh install of 10.04 (for unrelated reasons). What's odd was it was working fine with beta1.

evilwonka
May 17th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Same here fresh install chat works fine but no feeds o well you win some you lose some