PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.4 on an external hdd

Zonitas
May 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hi!

I would love to install LL on an external HDD. I use several different computers, so I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to have a portable OS, where I can install programs I use, save my documents etc. Would this be possible? Simply said, I would like to have an OS on the external HDD, and be able to boot this on different computers without loosing anything from the OS...

I have a 120 gb disc or something, and would like to use about half the space for LL.. If it is possible, could anyone please make a guide? (A) I tried to do something like this with 9.10, but the boot-thingy got ****ed up and stuff, so it didn't work...

thebigob
May 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
You can do this.

The Simplest way is to boot ubuntu either via live cd or an install

Go into System -> Administration -> Start-up Disk Creator

This will expect an ISO (an image of the OS you wish to burn) and the media you wish to burn it to.

This will then burn the OS as a live OS so the same as a live CD however this will keep any changes etc you make.

There may be other ways to achieve this however this is by far and away the easiest method.

Zonitas
May 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Should I disconnect the internal hdd first? or is there no risk of ****ing with the boot-thingy when I do it this way?

wilee-nilee
May 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
/

thebigob
May 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Should I disconnect the internal hdd first? or is there no risk of ****ing with the boot-thingy when I do it this way?

It wont touch you grub so no it makes no difference. If your paranoid feel free.