PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATi X1400 on Lucid Lynx: No Compiz

end3rkid
May 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I've trying of getting work my compiz, but I can't. When I try to enable Normal Visual Effects I got this message "Desktop effects could not be enable", I can't another explain for this ratter than the video drivers that come with lucid, and I can't find a way to install the previous ones that were on Karmic Koala.

Anyone can give me a little help?

Thanks in advanced.

Tom Tiger
May 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
Same problem here, and I'm stuck, I've got an ATI 4850 Radeon and sofar I've tried this;

- removed fglrx
- purged fglrx from the dpkg (can't remove it)

-system broke

-restarted with onboard intel (removed ati) with intell compiz works flawlessly btw
-removed all ati stuff, purged, removed stuff by hand, rebooted, clean, no ati anymore.
-reinstalled all ati stuff through synaptic. shut down.
- reinstalled card

everything works, hwinfo states that the proprietary driver is in use and active

but still no compiz....

Which is ironic.... since my other system which has an older 2400 radeon, does work with compiz, does everything, spinning cube ect except wobbly windows...

Both systems were upgrades from 9.10 to 10.04 no clean install.

I hate to say it, but I can't fix it.... yet.... I think I need to wait on a new driver.

altonbr
May 7th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Have the same problem with ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 1GB. Work's on my desktop's nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB and my laptop's ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64MB...

blaeks
August 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
you should see what is supported by new fglrx/Catalyst. I am in the process right trying to enable openGL in my lynx installation with ati x1400 [thinpad z61m].
when I try to run catalyst control center it says "ati driver not in use or no ati device present".
you should consider this help page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:%20%20Need% 20to%20fully%20remove%20-fglrx%20and%20reinstall%20-ati%20from%20scratch

cool Cpu
August 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Same problem here, and I'm stuck, I've got an ATI 4850 Radeon and sofar I've tried this;

- removed fglrx
- purged fglrx from the dpkg (can't remove it)

-system broke

-restarted with onboard intel (removed ati) with intell compiz works flawlessly btw
-removed all ati stuff, purged, removed stuff by hand, rebooted, clean, no ati anymore.
-reinstalled all ati stuff through synaptic. shut down.
- reinstalled card

everything works, hwinfo states that the proprietary driver is in use and active

but still no compiz....

Which is ironic.... since my other system which has an older 2400 radeon, does work with compiz, does everything, spinning cube ect except wobbly windows...

Both systems were upgrades from 9.10 to 10.04 no clean install.

I hate to say it, but I can't fix it.... yet.... I think I need to wait on a new driver.

i have ati 4850 it work with latest catalyst and the compiz and everything is really perfect i use ubuntu lucid

blaeks
August 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
i have ati 4850 it work with latest catalyst and the compiz and everything is really perfect i use ubuntu lucid

what drivers and openGL do you use?
and do you have dual monitors? I want to extend my display to external monitor...
thanx!!!