PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to change the gnome login screen theme?

akos.maroy
May 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
I wonder how one can change the gnome login screen theme in 10.04? it used to be in System -> Administration -> Login Screen, but now this window only allows for very minimal settings, and nothing related to the appearance / theme of the login screen.

the default pinkish style in 10.04 is extremely ugly :(

xDarkicex
May 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
You can install the Ubuntu Tweak tool, search for it in the Synaptic Package manager this lets you change the background and Logo at least, But I too would like to know how to be able to do full changes like before.

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
You can install the Ubuntu Tweak tool, search for it in the Synaptic Package manager this lets you change the background and Logo at least, But I too would like to know how to be able to do full changes like before.

You can't. The new GDM is not themable except for what GTK allows, and the xroot background.

xDarkicex
May 2nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Bummer at least I can change the background ^_^

akos.maroy
May 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
You can't. The new GDM is not themable except for what GTK allows, and the xroot background.

sounds like a serious setback :(

how do I change the ugly pinkish background at least?

sunk8
May 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Well. I posted this idea onto brainstorm, but no1 took any interest.
Seems that no1 want it?
Chk my signature for the idea...

akos.maroy
May 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Well. I posted this idea onto brainstorm, but no1 took any interest.
Seems that no1 want it?
Chk my signature for the idea...

hm, what is this brainstorm thing? :) It seems I have to generate yet-another user account to log in & vote? :)

I read your entry, and at first the description seems overly vague - actually I wouldn't be able able to tell if this is related to customizing the login screen at first read..

Minsky
May 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
The login screen theme also wasn't to my taste so I changed it following the instructions here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-do-you-change-the-boot-splash-screen-image-for-10-04-lucid-lynx.html. Did the trick!