PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Correct permission handling apache virtual hosts in home folder

u3000
May 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

i use virtual hosts to develop several web applications. These are located in my home folder under /home/user/projects/project

After a fresh installation, i always get a 403 forbidden error. After googling and reading on this forum, several solutions are mentioned for this problem. But i can hardly believe putting using a chmod 755 on my home folder is a correct solution.

What is the correct way of doing things in this situation?

Bachstelze
May 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
But i can hardly believe putting using a chmod 755 on my home folder is a correct solution.

You can add the www-data user to your group and chmod it 750 but either way, you will have to give www-data read access to it.

u3000
May 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
I've added myself to www-data group

$ sudo adduser USER www-datachanged the group of my home folder to www-data (non-recursive)
$ sudo chgrp www-data /home/USERand changed the group of my projects folder to www-data as well (recursive)
$ sudo chgrp -hR www-data /home/USER/projects/Is this a secure way of working, given that i gave www-data group read-only access?

Bachstelze
May 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Is this a secure way of working, given that i gave www-data group read-only access?

Yes, this is fine. Actually, you didn't even have to add yourself to the group: you already have read access to your home dir anyway, since you're the owner.

u3000
May 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
All right, thanks for your feedback!

neverthemachineforever
August 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys this really helped me out.

Just in case anyone has any trouble after trying this, also try changing the group permissions as well as the just the group on your /home/USER folder.

I had to:

$ chmod g+rx /home/USERJust g+r didn't work (I could read the directory after a su www-data, but couldn't enter it), so I presume both are needed.