PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox flash sound issues after upgrade to 10.04 - please help!

margiwarg
May 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
I just upgraded to 10.04 from 8.04, and am now having issues with sound in firefox. Sound outside of firefox (movies, music, etc.) is fine.

Streaming video works, but there is no sound. Myspace tells me that I need to upgrade to the newest version of flash... which I have done, with no effect.

If I reinstall flashplugin-installer, and restart firefox, I get sound for streaming video (although Myspace still says I need new version of flash), but ONLY until I close firefox. If I open it again, the sound is gone... so I then need to reinstall flash, and restart firefox to get sound back. I don't really see this as a long term solution!

Any help please?

gp2x
May 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
same issue here. Found anything?

sunk8
May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
I faced a similar issue.
Install the latest plugin from adobe site (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/).
Solved it for me...

margiwarg
May 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Yes, I have tried installing flash in many ways, including through the pugin on the Adobe website. The problem is that even though it shows up as being installed, it only works until I close firefox. And when it does work, only the sound on streaming video works, there is still no sound or functionality for streaming audio.

Any other ideas?

sunk8
May 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Try another browser...
Like Chromium perhaps...
It works better than the fox for me...

Ad@m
May 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Personally I would never performance an upgrade as it can cause many issues.

Can you perform a clean install?

Perhaps try removing firefox and reinstalling it.

If using Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, try using the native 64-bit flash plugin. If you need to know how to do this, let me know.

margiwarg
May 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Using a different browser or reinstalling firefox doesn't help. I'm using 32-bit Ubuntu.

I may try a clean install as this is not the only glitch that has come up, just the most annoying thus far. A clean install just seems daunting and time consuming.

jerrylamos
May 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Me too. With intel hardware. Some sites with audio, others not example Whitehouse.gov, BBC news, ...

Used to work but the "dreaded update" struck again. When will I ever learn with Ubuntu "if it isn't broken don't fix it" and NOT do updates.

With ati hardware, Lucid firefox flash v-e-r-y--s-l-o-w and jerky.

Let me look for a different distro, I've recently used Slax, Slitaz, and Debian LXDE. They were much easier with Grub Menu.lst, a bit of a bear with Grub2's 40_custom.

Jerry

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Try out this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455816

eklypze
May 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
I also have this issue and I have already done the steps that lidex has posted in his link but still no avail.

ratcheer
May 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Flash will only use the first sound card as seen by ALSA. If you have multiple sound modules and ALSA sees the wrong one first, you will get no sound from Flash. In that case, you must force that sound module to be second to ALSA.

Tim

eklypze
May 2nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Can you be more specific on how to fix this please ratcheer?

Thanks.

gh_freeman
May 3rd, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi,
This is a solution it works fine with me
use this commands:

sudo aptitude install alsa-oss
sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
FIREFOX_DSP=”aoss”

Then, restart firefox
:P

ratcheer
May 3rd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Can you be more specific on how to fix this please ratcheer?

Thanks.

I just told someone in a different thread, yesterday.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467170&page=2

See post #15.

Tim

margiwarg
May 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
I only have one sound card so that wasn't the issue. I had also tried gh_freeman's solution... and pretty much anything else I could find with google... to no avail.

In the end I did a clean install, then installed flash, and everything is a-ok. I wish I had just done the clean install in the first place. After upgrading I felt like I was using a glitchy version of my previous system (8.04) with some updated software. Clean install looks much better and is running much smoother! So far anyway...

disperso
May 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Same problem. After upgrading from Hardy Heron to Lucid Lynx, I have sound for all applications save the web browsers (no audio on youtube, Jango, lastfm and so on). I have tried with Firefox, Chrome, Epiphany, Konqueror and Opera. It seems that something doesn't work fine with the ALSA-plugins. I have reinstalled almost every browser twice (including plugins), but they still don't work. Sometimes I get them work, but then when I reboot, the sound is gone (as was the case when I tried with the solution suggested by lidex, the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455816). On the other hand, if I see a video requiring Moonlight, everything works. Does anyone have an idea how to fix it? Thanks guys!

gp2x
May 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
This worked for me

http://www.willmcgugan.com/blog/tech/2010/5/2/no-audio-in-flash-on-ubuntu-1004/

Basically youve got 2 versions of flash installed, so rm ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so to get rid of 9.

Hooray! \o/

disperso
May 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks gp2x, your solution worked for me too.

Hurrah (the italian way)!

claus
May 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Try out this thread:

I just tried it, but still no sound. Are there any other solutions, besides switching to a different browser?

Claus

claus
May 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I just tried it, but still no sound. Are there any other solutions, besides switching to a different browser?

Claus

sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla
sudo apt-get remove mozilla-plugin-gnash
sudo apt-get remove adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

This worked for me.

Claus

Sputnik82
May 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This worked for me

http://www.willmcgugan.com/blog/tech/2010/5/2/no-audio-in-flash-on-ubuntu-1004/

Basically youve got 2 versions of flash installed, so rm ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so to get rid of 9.

Hooray! \o/

This also worked for me! Thanks! :D

RamahX
May 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
tried everything on this thread to no avail, no sound from flash on ff3...

upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 UNR.

I had this problem before upgrading but cant remember what I did.

lidex
May 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
tried everything on this thread to no avail, no sound from flash on ff3...

upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 UNR.

I had this problem before upgrading but cant remember what I did.

Can't remember...or don't want to remember? ;)
What is reported in firefox='Tools>AddOns>Plugins'?

monkeys
May 7th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I had the same problem and ended up solving it by removing "flashplugin-installer" and installing "adobe-flashplugin" through Synaptics.

I had previously used this code:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

from http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=220 but when I checked Synaptic, I didn't have flashplugin-nonfree installed. Prior to I had used this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash to install Flash.

Hope that helps somebody (: Sorry I can't explain better. I'm a bit of a novice.

monkeys
May 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Double-posted, sorry.

lidex
May 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I would tweak those commands a bit:

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer
Then go here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1414595

Magick93
May 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I also have no sound in flash after upgrading.

Ive checked the sound levels using alsamixer and followed the tips in this thread - but still no sound.

Any other ideas?

RickThorpe2006
May 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Same problem. As with gp2x, the sound problem appears to have resulted from Firefox still using a v9 plugin despite having installed v10. You may need to remove more than one file, however. The following worked for me:
1. Uninstall the adobe flash plugin and any related installer packages (I went into the Synaptic package manager and searched on "flash" to confirm.)
2. Open Firefox, enter "about:config" in the address line. Scroll down to find the line "plugin.expose_full_path". Double click that line to set the variable to yes.
3. Enter "about:plugins" in the address line. Scroll down to the "Shockwave Flash" section. Right below the bold header, if your problem is the v9 one, you will see a file location followed by the version of flash. Open a terminal and sudo rm -f [file location].
4. Close Firefox, reopen, go to about:plugins. You may still find a Shockwave Flash section with a different v9 file listed. Remove that file as well, close and repeat until this doesn't show any v9 flash files.
5. Reinstall the v10 flash plugin.

Magick93
May 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Same problem. As with gp2x, the sound problem appears to have resulted from Firefox still using a v9 plugin despite having installed v10. You may need to remove more than one file, however. The following worked for me:
1. Uninstall the adobe flash plugin and any related installer packages (I went into the Synaptic package manager and searched on "flash" to confirm.)
2. Open Firefox, enter "about:config" in the address line. Scroll down to find the line "plugin.expose_full_path". Double click that line to set the variable to yes.
3. Enter "about:plugins" in the address line. Scroll down to the "Shockwave Flash" section. Right below the bold header, if your problem is the v9 one, you will see a file location followed by the version of flash. Open a terminal and sudo rm -f [file location].
4. Close Firefox, reopen, go to about:plugins. You may still find a Shockwave Flash section with a different v9 file listed. Remove that file as well, close and repeat until this doesn't show any v9 flash files.

That fixed it. Thanks :)

monkeys
May 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
yeee-up, my fix ended up being temporary, as described in the original post. followed up with Rick's suggestion. will update when i find out whether it works.

edit: it works! (:

davidmaxwaterman
May 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I had the same problem and ended up solving it by removing "flashplugin-installer" and installing "adobe-flashplugin" through Synaptics.

This worked for me, though I used apt from the command line. Oh, and I also removed flashplugin-nonfree.

davidmaxwaterman
May 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
This worked for me, though I used apt from the command line. Oh, and I also removed flashplugin-nonfree.

Ok, so I spoke too soon. It has stopped working again :(

roganjosh
May 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Try out this thread:

This worked for me! Many thanks.

montysan
May 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
RickThorpe2006's solution fixed my problems. I had more than 2 versions of flash installed. I'm pretty sure I've never installed them myself, so I guess it's been a mess up with the automatic updates.

I think there was also a pulse audio update that fixed up some other issues I was having with sound. I had to manually check for updates, as it didn't seem to spot that there were some available like it normally does.

Rybers
June 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks to RickThorpe2006,
this is the first thing I did about this problem, and solved it!

aeilos
August 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Guys, I just want to let you know these solutions worked...which one, exactly, I'm not sure.

I tried everything and nothing worked. Then I remembered that I had a Firefox addon that let me switch between versions of flash for development purposes. I think it was called Flash Switcher or something similar. Well, after I disabled that, it works. If you have something similar installed, you might want to disable it.

peterVG
September 4th, 2010, 02:24 AM
For me the sound in Firefox suddenly stopped working on my Ubuntu 10.04 install. System sound was working fine elsewhere (e.g. Rhythmbox). Firefox/Flash sound had been working fine for a couple of months. I thought it might be a duplicate Flash install like others are reporting (since Flash video on YouTube was also playing at 3x regular speed). However, that was not the case for me. After reading through some more forum posts I tried changing System -> Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Internal Audio Analog Stereo (it had been set to HD48x0 audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)). That fixed my audio issue (as well, strangely, the 3x Flash video play speed).