PDA

View Full Version : [other] I dont get the point of Steam on linux. All the games are windows games neways?

Darvenkry
May 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Okay, theres been talk bout a linux steam client. But isnt steam just like an online management of your games. None of the games will even run on linux neways unless its fully supported by wine? So whats the point of making a steam linux client then.

Dayofswords
May 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
its gives the chance of the games being built to run on linux, which would mean good games on linux, which is huuuuuge atm for gaining market share

mobilediesel
May 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
What the heck is a "neways"?

Darvenkry
May 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Oh i c. Hmmm very interesting. But wat about all the games that are already on your existing steam account. Does that mean you can run them off steam aslong as wine can support it?

Also neways = anyways lol. You say "n" "e" "ways" and it sounds like anyways haha.

Dayofswords
May 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
What the heck is a "neways"?
(if your serious)
neways=anyways

i hate that spelling though =p

Oh i c. Hmmm very interesting. But wat about all the games that are already on your existing steam account. Does that mean you can run them off steam aslong as wine can support it?

i guess you could.. but it be better if they were made for linux, like there's a mac and a windows version
the developer could make a linux version for a game and have it with you already bought games

i myself hate steam, there is no way to resale your games at like a garage sale or something

Linuxforall
May 2nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
From what I hear about the recent Win versus Linux benchmarks at Phoronix, its as I suspected, graphics are major bottleneck in Linux and it has a long way to go before it even skims the advantage MS has in games environment, in other tests, I expect Linux to easily outdo Windows and it wouldn't suprise me a bit.

utnubuuser
May 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
nEways

mobilediesel
May 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Also neways = anyways lol. You say "n" "e" "ways" and it sounds like anyways haha.

(if your serious)
neways=anyways

i hate that spelling though =p

Yeah I wasn't totally serious, I was hoping the misspelling was accidental.
"Neways" is actually a multi-level marketing company in the U.S.

pedrogfrancisco
May 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I believe Valve will make sure the new Source based games it will release will run on OpenGL and thus can be more easily ported to run on GNU/Linux, without Wine.

This will be interesting for various reasons:

allow GNU/Linux gamers to play what until now were Windows-only games;
serve as a testbed to push other software houses to create [probably proprietary] for GNU/Linux, if the GNU/Linux response to Steam [and to SteamStore] is encouraging.

On the least interesting to mainstream but interesting to me:

see how many Linux gamers are there and have a 'domestic' Linux marketshare report, instead of guessing from web browsers reports;
see if OpenGL has been hindered on Windows 7 [to me it would require that Half-Life 1 series would run on GNU/Linux as well, since I've an Intel card, something I'm not very hopeful that will happen];
aggressively compare proprietary drivers with open-source ones;
have a clearer picture which open-source components are in need of enhancements, if any.

xzero1
May 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I believe Valve will make sure the new Source based games it will release will run on OpenGL and thus can be more easily ported to run on GNU/Linux, without Wine.

serve as a testbed to push other software houses to create [probably proprietary] for GNU/Linux, if the GNU/Linux response to Steam [and to SteamStore] is encouraging.

see how many Linux gamers are there and have a 'domestic' Linux marketshare report, instead of guessing from web browsers reports;
see if OpenGL has been hindered on Windows 7 [to me it would require that Half-Life 1 series would run on GNU/Linux as well, since I've an Intel card, something I'm not very hopeful that will happen];
have a clearer picture which open-source components are in need of enhancements, if any.

The fact that Android is growing so fast may change the game a bit. This should encourage developers to use OpenGL for these 'phone' games. Some of these devices will run pretty descent games i.e. the unreal engine 3 on tegra 2.

As to how many linux gamers there are I think this is a chicken and egg problem. If you can get all your games to run as well under linux as windows then there will be more linux gamers. But that depends on hardware/developer support which is why Android/OpenGL is important.

theubersmurf
May 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM

Source has already been switched over to openGL. Goes back to HL2, css, everything since then, l4d, tf2, portal, all of the catalog since 2004. They did this already, which made the Mac versions possible.

beastrace91
May 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
There are actually several games on Steam that have Linux installers and honestly - once Steam is on *nix the games will come. For instance Valve has promised with their port to OSX they will all be porting all Source engines games to the platform as well.

~Jeff

Blackwolf454
May 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Steam plays really old Dos games like Doom the reason the Steam opens and runs it. If they made it for Linux stuff would run because everything would be running thou Steam.