PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No option to install to first drive

tlongren
May 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hi!

Upgraded one box that has 2 drives in it to 10.04 no problem.

Tried doing my other box today, and it won't give me the option to format the /dev/sda drive (first drive), only gives me /dev/sdb as an option.

/dev/sdb is my media drive. /dev/sda is where the previous version of Ubuntu was installed and I need to be able to install to that drive.

When I boot the live cd instead of installing, I see both drives under the "Places" menu, so I know ubuntu sees both drives.

Can anyone help?

tlongren
May 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Anyone know why this happens?

tlongren
May 2nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
See the attached screenshot to see what I'm talking about.

gregmo
May 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I'm having the same problem. /dev/sda is not showing as an install option. I have two other disks and they are showing. Also, the install doesn't think I have any other OS's and I have both XP and Vista on other partitions.

I remember this happening before with a previous version and I just don't remember the solution.

gregmo
May 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Ah ha! It took me a few minutes, but I remembered!

Boot into the live CD and open a terminal window.
Do 'sudo apt-get remove dmraid'.
When you run the install program, /dev/sda will show up.

Hopefully that will work for you (it did for me)!

tlongren
May 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
gregmo, thanks for the reply! I will give this a try when I get home today and will report back with my findings.

Desperately need to do a fresh install on that box. I have had to do upgrades the last two releases and the box is getting sluggish.

tlongren
May 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
gregmo, that worked. Thanks so much for posting. Thanks even more for remembering how to fix it! :)