PDA

View Full Version : LCD vs LED

sudoer541
May 2nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Ok, I am buying another TV (Again!) and I was wondering what type of TV lasts longer, LED or LCD?
winch one is better in terms of longevity and quality (hardware wise)?

anyone know? caribbo?

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
It is a no-brainer which one is more economical because it uses less power and therefore better for the environment. That should tell you something about longevity: ie less power means less work. Warranty no different. LED is the future.

Linuxforall
May 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
LED only way, far better color, way longer life, no refresh rate issue, more natural like Plasma and yet more reliable.

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:08 AM
+1

And uses less power ... compare with plasma! LED is another step away from LCD.

sudoer541
May 2nd, 2010, 06:13 AM
so if LCD lasts for ~5 years, the LCD will last for ~10?

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/305199/lcd_vs_plasma_vs_led_tvs_buying_guide/?

That will tell you everything you want to know. Suprised you didn't find it. LEDs can use up to 40% less power than an LCD. Do I hear a cash register? (pg 2)

"LED-backlit televisions have expected lifespans of over 100,000 hours." 40,000 more than their LCD counterparts. (pg 3)

tgalati4
May 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
My guess is current LCD will outlast LED-backlit TV's. To get the required brightness, the manufacturers have to drive the LED's really hard. They loose 1/2 their brightness in 3 to 5 years. The flourescent tubes will last much longer than that--perhaps 10 years.

Plus the driving electronics for bright LED's tends to fail due to high, pulsing currents. Inverters for flouresents tend to last a while and have been around for a long time.

LCD certainly uses less power than plasma, but I think it's a push between LCD and LED-backlit. True LED image displays are $6 a pixel with 4 mm spacing. So they are a ways from home TV's. OLED's are neat, but expensive: $20K for a 20" TV.

If you care about color and fast motion then get a plasma. LED-backlit have a slightly better gamut than LCD, but still not as good as plasma.

You will pay a premium for LED-backlit. Really expensive LED-backlit TV's modulate the background brightness (which requires an extra processor) to get better gamma and contrast ratio. Dolby Labs demonstrated their 42" reference LCD monitor, with modulated LED backlight at the recent NAB show. Impressive.

That's the TV to get. Pricing not yet available.

LED's last 100K hours? That's a complete load of crap. They burn out much quicker than that. Check out the loading conditions to reach 100K hours.

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
tgalati4 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=241895), read the link I posted before your post. It answers everything. ;)

You're making a few assumptions. There is a huge difference in longevity and power consumption.

arnab_das
May 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
dont expect the entire panel to be LED bakclit, thats simply impossible considering a single diode's size. its more of an impression of LED than a real LED. the real LEDs are the ones u see in sports arenas and concerts, huge ones. these are fake miniature prototypes. but yes, they do offer an increase in contrast ratio. however contrast ratio is a highly bloated term. how much of contrast ratio u experience, depends on the lighting of ur room etc. in most cases, when u switch on a tube light, contrast ratio difference among teles disappear.

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
LED is not in competition with LCD.

LED uses an LED backlight behind an LCD panel.

LED is better, but there is no difference in reliability. Only in colour contrast and power use.

MichealH
May 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
LED is thinner than LCD because ermmm... It uses LED's

Dixon Bainbridge
May 2nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
I'd go with LSD, that way you can have your own TV in your head.

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I'd go with LSD, that way you can have your own TV in your head.

HA! rofl

chappajar
May 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
LED IS LCD.

''LED'' means an LCD with LED back-lighting, instead of fluro.
It's still an LCD at the front (the picture).
Personally I'd go for LED, for the energy savings.

mmix
May 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
i am using LED, it is green only use 8W.

arnab_das
May 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
LED IS LCD.

absolutely. uv hit the nail on the head.

sudoer541
May 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
The point of this thread is: what type of TV lats longer (more reliable) please stick to the topic.:)
I see different opinion about LEDs and LCDs, so could you people please provide facts for your claims (not that I dont believe you, but I really got confused):P

Love you!!!:P

tgalati4
May 2nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
LED-backlit TV's have not been around for 10 years. Flourescent-backlit TV's have been. Many laptops use the same technology and they are still working.

I know for a fact that the LED's are driven hard and they burn out. I doubt that you will get 10 years out of an LED backlight. But we'll know in 10 years.

As far as the PC World post, I didn't see it because it wasn't posted when I responded.

Edge-lit LED's do use less energy than fully LED-lit backlights. But they don't put out as bright a picture either. So if you are viewing in a dark room without too much outdoor spill then edge-lit, LED would be acceptable.

NCLI
May 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
LED is not in competition with LCD.

LED uses an LED backlight behind an LCD panel.

LED is better, but there is no difference in reliability. Only in colour contrast and power use.

This.

OLED is the future, but what is currently marketed as LED-TVs is simply an LCD panel, backlit by LEDs instead of some other light emitter. OLED panels are not backlit, they are simply lots of tiny RGB LEDs.

TheNerdAL
May 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
LED IS LCD.

Not quite, Organic LED is the best LED that is NOT LCD.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Sony_oled.jpg/220px-Sony_oled.jpg

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921665327724

But LED is better. :)

arnab_das
May 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
OLEDs were stuck at 26 or 32 inch models the last time i checked. dunno if they have been able to cross that barrier yet.

TheNerdAL
May 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
OLEDs were stuck at 26 or 32 inch models the last time i checked. dunno if they have been able to cross that barrier yet.

They will, just wait. :D But if they go as high as 50 inches, then people must be very careful not to break it.

tom66
May 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
LED.

CCFL backlights are unreliable. Mostly due to inverter failure. I have seen it in many laptops.

LEDs rarely catastrophically fail - they slowly dim output over a couple years of use. And in the worst case a single LED failure means a slightly dimmer screen, as the light between the LEDs is shared.

LEDs are energy efficient, compared to other lighting methods.

LEDs produce better colour sometimes because they have a very precise output with little extra wavelengths than the required one being produced.

coolbrook
May 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
I have a 15 watt LED monitor. The thing works great. I'm glad I held off on a TV purchase. I'm using another monitor as a TV. Here comes 3D!

chappajar
May 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Not quite, Organic LED is the best LED that is NOT LCD.

OLED != ''LED'' -- not even close
I wasn't talking about OLED, only ''LED''.

''LED'' is a LED backlit LCD.
OLED is a screen where the pixels are actually LEDs.
The two are worlds apart.

sudoer541
May 3rd, 2010, 01:25 AM
so, are you recommending me to buy an LCD then??? am very confused!!!:o:)
as I said earlier, I want a TV that will last for many years and not very pricey one!!!:P

sudoer541
May 3rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
LED.

CCFL backlights are unreliable. Mostly due to inverter failure. I have seen it in many laptops.

LEDs rarely catastrophically fail - they slowly dim output over a couple years of use. And in the worst case a single LED failure means a slightly dimmer screen, as the light between the LEDs is shared.

LEDs are energy efficient, compared to other lighting methods.

LEDs produce better colour sometimes because they have a very precise output with little extra wavelengths than the required one being produced.

I am talking about the Samsung 46" 1080p LED HDTV** (UN46C5000) it has LED instead of CCFL. So is that better? How long will this TV last~?
Here is the link for full specs: Bestbuy Canada (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-46-1080p-led-hdtv-un46c5000-un46c5000/10140319.aspx?path=cef1a246f32d53a141a3bd27bc457a0 9en02)

Cariboo, could you please comment on this issue cuz I know you have experience with TVs.:D

KiwiNZ
May 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
I recently replaced my TV . I was going to get one of the new LED TV's and was convinced on a Samsung LED right up until I was in the store.

I purchased a 58" Plasma ( http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/archive/PS58B850Y1MXRD/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl= )

Plasma is still the king of big screen TV unless you have the following circumstances...

1. A bright room
2. Use computers on the screen a lot

sudoer541
May 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Cariboo, could you please comment on this issue, cuz I know you have experience with TVs.
BTW, the backlight on the model I posted above is LED so will I have problems with the inverter? Is it true that LEDs last longer than LCDs?

Please share!!!

sudoer541
May 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Just to make sure:
LEDs (with LED backlight) last longer than LCD and they dont have inverter issues?