PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power failure during upgrade to Lynx - Kernel Panic!!

Shekibobo
May 2nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
So, I learned yesterday that doing a massive upgrade on my system while moving was a BAAAD idea. The upgrade process was going along just fine, it was all downloaded and was actually installing that last time I saw it. I unplugged my laptop to move a bookcase out, and completely forgot to plug it back in. After I got back from moving a load, I found my computer was off. I tried to boot up, and I got an error that kind of freaked me out. It reads as follows:

kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I'm able to get to grub just fine, and my windows partition loads up just fine, but any of the linux kernels fail similarly when I attempt to load them.

I'm sure that I can fix this, I just have no idea how. Probably has something to do with a live cd. Can anyone help? This is pretty devastating, and I need this fixed by the end of the week. Thanks for checking this out.

Shekibobo
May 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'm downloading the live cd now, but that says it'll take about a day. Can anyone help with my kernel panic situation?

Shekibobo
May 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I've got the live cd working, and all my files still seem to be intact. I'd hate to have to transfer all my files over to a backup drive and end up doing yet another full reinstall if it's not necessary. If I do, though, home partition all the way. Is there any way I can use the live cd to repair the system?

I tried using the advice here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296809&highlight=kernel+panic using AgenT's advice. I got the the mounting to work with a few minor adjustments, but after trying to run apt-get, I get some problems. I tried running apt-get update and most of the repositories, if not all, failed to update, and the error "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

This may be fixing the problem - seems like it's going through and actually installing the updates that were downloaded. I'll keep you updated.

dino99
May 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
you can goto synaptic (system admin synaptic) and reinstall the kernel packages

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f