PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transfer Installation from one HDD to another

danushk
May 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hi guys ,

I have two hard disks each with same size but one has 5400 RPM and noisy and i hate it . unfortunately it contains a ubuntu i use for work. I also have another hard disk with same size but its 7200 RPM and very silent.

I want to transfer my ubuntu installation from the slow hdd to faster slient hdd. you know the obvious way by just reinstalling everything from scratch on the new hdd. But i find it as very inefficient . my idea is for a tool which can copy the same file structure on my slow hdd to faster hdd so after copying i can easily boot from that.

Is there any particular tools for that or another way around for it ?

cheers

Dan

jontyrp
May 2nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hi I would suggest using a Disk Imaging Program for this. Personally I use Acronis Disk Director Suite, but that does require a Windows system to install into and then create a bootable CD-ROM, that can be used to boot the Linux box, and then edit/copy the disk.

Google "Disk Imaging" to find many alternates to the above solution. I don't know of anything built into Ubuntu that can do this for you directly, you do need to be able to boot the system from a CD, in order to be able to copy the Ubuntu drive & it's partitions to the alternate HDD.

HTH,
Jonathan.