PDA

View Full Version : stream to tv

yester64
May 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
Hi,
there was another topic that puzzles me for awhile.
How can stream services like Hulu or any other service from the computer to the tv.
Does the service have to allow it or do you just need the right software to do it.
I don't watch a lot on tv, especially not the tv itself, but i like to watch like hulu. The only thing is i don't like to watch on the computer.
If there is a solution that would be great. :)

iponeverything
May 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
xbmc

Redache
May 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
Boxee is also another option.

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hi,
there was another topic that puzzles me for awhile.
How can stream services like Hulu or any other service from the computer to the tv.
Does the service have to allow it or do you just need the right software to do it.
I don't watch a lot on tv, especially not the tv itself, but i like to watch like hulu. The only thing is i don't like to watch on the computer.
If there is a solution that would be great. :)

D-Link is going to be releasing a new device soon called the Boxee Box. It's essentially a little Home Theatre PC running Boxee. Boxee has the ability to watch Hulu, as well as any media from your network or a USB device. You plug the Boxee Box into your TV.

yester64
May 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
got to check that out. I think i heard the name before... so long ago :) maybe thats the key to my question :)

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 05:43 AM
http://www.dlink.com/boxeebox

http://www.boxee.tv/box

earthpigg
May 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
this may sound simple, but we all fail to consider the simple from time to time:

have you considered plugging your tv into your computer, maybe with some long cords and a wireless mouse?

yester64
May 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
this may sound simple, but we all fail to consider the simple from time to time:

have you considered plugging your tv into your computer, maybe with some long cords and a wireless mouse?

No, not sure how. I don't have a tv card in my pc. I have an older Panasonic LCD TV (which is Hdtv but doesn't have hdmi).

Riffer
May 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Check out the back of your tv and your GPU. Your tv may have a DVI connector, or even a monitor type connector. It will have a yellow RCA video connector. Your GPU will have at least 2 of the above, if both have DVI try that as its the best, but if worse comes to worse you can use the yellow RCA.

A tv card is used for getting a signal into your computer from your source of regular tv not Internet tv. They have come down in price and you can get ones that are around $100. Really take your time and research for a Linux compatible. Some are listed as compatible but they would only work with extensive tweaking.

earthpigg
May 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
No, not sure how. I don't have a tv card in my pc. I have an older Panasonic LCD TV (which is Hdtv but doesn't have hdmi).

what inputs does your tv have, and what video outputs does your video card have?

keep in mind they do have dvi <-> vga adapter thingies. (if you can honestly tell the difference between vga and dvi, i suppose that isn't for you)