PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux sounds like the future

darkflavar1
May 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
I am new to the whole linux/ ubuntu thing. But sounds very
interesting. I am thinking of a dual boot of window, linux
with firefox as my search engine for linux ,and zorin os 2.0
as my serch engine. Does that sound fesible ???

Revolutionary101
May 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Firefox is a fine choice for web browsing on Linux and you can access many search engines with it (Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask.com).

If you are mostly interested in web browsing (or anything else) Linux is a great choice for you. It's fast, free, and you don't have to worry about Windows viruses.

To do the dual-boot just download the .iso image from the Ubuntu website and make a bootable CD. Once you create one, just follow the instructions on the screen to install Ubuntu. After you install it, you can surf the web until your heart is content.

I don't know much about Zorin, but it is not a search engine. It is actually an operating system just like Ubuntu, Windows and Mac OSX.

nhasian
May 2nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
this should help too:

Ubuntu Manual (http://ubuntu-manual.org/downloads)

Sealbhach
May 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM

I don't know much about Zorin but dual booting is very feasible and millions of people dual boot Windows and Linux.

Try out the Live CD session at least, it will give you an idea of what to expect before you install it.

ibuclaw
May 2nd, 2010, 03:58 AM
Zorin? Sounds like more horrible derivatives to me.

If you wish to give it a whirl, download and try the vanilla versions of Ubuntu instead.

If KDE is your fancy: http://www.kubuntu.org/

Regards

tgalati4
May 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
The future is what you make it.

If you install Ubuntu, then yes, Linux is the future.

FoxMcCloudwp
May 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM

Yeah, dual boot, and get use to using Ubuntu

Linux is the future :)

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
... my future, my present, my past!

Try it off the install CD and see if it gets along with your machine (runs off the disk and won't change anything on the hard drive). If all's good and you like then go for it! Firefox is the default browser included with the install so you're off!

ajk95
May 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
I used to dual-boot between Kubuntu and Windows XP. I finally decided to get rid of the biggest virus in computer history (a.k.a. Windows) and install Kubuntu. When Lucid Lynx was released, I decided that Kubuntu was simply too bloated for my desktop, so I got Ubuntu instead and installed it as the only OS. I still use Windows 7 on my laptop, but only because I sometimes need it (and because OpenOffice.org simply does not compare to Office 2007, and I don't want to mess with WINE and that sort of stuff although I know Office works with it).

WinterRain
May 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I don't want to mess with WINE and that sort of stuff although I know Office works with it).

There's really nothing to it. Wine 1.2 is in synaptic. Click to install. Pop in office cd and install. Nothing to "mess with". As easy as installing in windows, only faster. Believe it or not, it runs faster in wine than on windows because you are not running all kinds of windows services.

Bucky Ball
May 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Out of curiosity, what features of Office do you use that OOffice doesn't have? Probably another thread, but ...