PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding a new screensaver

CharlieMe
May 2nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
I was trying to add new screensaver to Ubuntu 10.04. I believe i put all files in the right place but the preference selection list is not updated even if i logout/in and restart the computer.

The .desktop file is correct as i compared with other existing files.

Anyone can help me plz?

zonky
May 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I was trying to add new screensaver to Ubuntu 10.04. I believe i put all files in the right place but the preference selection list is not updated even if i logout/in and restart the computer.

I'm seeing the same issue. I've added a new screensaver using a different floating image, and the list of screensavers in gnome-screensaver is not updating with my newly named screensaver.

Can anyone help?

zonky
May 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Funnily enough, if i edit an exisitng screen saver, in /usr/share/applications/screensavers/footlogo-floaters.desktop to point to my new .svg which file path is correct, then i restarted ubuntu (for arguments sake) the original foot logo is still there!

It seems like any changes made in /usr/share/applications/screensavers/ are not actually used by gnome-screensaver?

jdoklovic
May 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I had the same issue and figured out how to add a custom floater screensaver.

I added the .desktop and .svg files to /usr/share/applications/screensavers and /user/share/pixmaps respectively.

This does *not* show up in the screensaver preferences. To get it to show up, you also need to edit the file:

/usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache

near the very bottom you'll find the screensaver entries. They are exactly the same as the .desktop files and the ini-like header should be: [screensavers/name_of_your_desktop_file]

Once I added an entry, my custom screensaver showed up in the preferences.

Not sure this is exactly the *proper* way to do it, but it works.

zonky
May 6th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi, thanks for this- editing this has worked.

damianonly
June 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I had the same issue and figured out how to add a custom floater screensaver.

I added the .desktop and .svg files to /usr/share/applications/screensavers and /user/share/pixmaps respectively.

This does *not* show up in the screensaver preferences. To get it to show up, you also need to edit the file:

/usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache

near the very bottom you'll find the screensaver entries. They are exactly the same as the .desktop files and the ini-like header should be: [screensavers/name_of_your_desktop_file]

Once I added an entry, my custom screensaver showed up in the preferences.

Not sure this is exactly the *proper* way to do it, but it works.

It worked for me too. This looks like a bug. The "drag and drop" feature that they mention in the gnome screensaver homepage is not working either.

zabuch
July 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
/usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache is updated automatically by dpkg. The cleanest and most reusable way I've found to install new screensaver theme is to package it as .deb. I have described it fully on my blog: http://techblog.zabuchy.net/2010/how-to-create-simple-theme-for-gnome-screensaver/ . Enjoy!

brendanpiater
August 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Following on from @zabuch comments on "dpkg" updating that list, I just ran a pending update and the list was refreshed to include my new screensaver. I guess installing something from the repos if you don't have an update pending would do the same.

Hope that helps someone.

Cheers
B

jdandison
September 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
For what it's worth, I moved the desktop.en_US.utf8.cache file (from /usr/share/applications) to my desktop, then edited my .desktop files to change the screensaver preferences. The changes were immediate, i.e., I didn't have to re-open the Screensavers panel - I only had to switch to a different saver, then back to the one I edited.

Not sure what the implications are of leaving that file out, so I think a diff -> merge may be best now that things are setup the way I want them.