PDA

View Full Version : 10.04 Remix, classic view

Julian Lewis
May 2nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Hi,
I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04. In 9.10 I was able to set show-desktop in apps nautilus preferences to TRUE with gconf-editor. In 10.04 this variable is set read only. I HATE the UNR standard desktop, I want a classic desktop with menus. Can any one tell me what I need to do to override this error and set show-desktop to the value I want. Which files does gconf-editor use to forbid me setting show-desktop to true. I would normally just reinstall 9.10 but 10.04 drivers are better on my HP MINI 210. My intention is to get 10.04 working with a classic desktop, any advice on how to get a classic desktop on 10.04 Remix would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Julian Lewis
May 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
For more clarity can anyone tell what this means ...

Could not change key value. Error message:
Can't overwrite existing read-only value:Value for
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop set in a
read-only source at the front of your configuration path

This is what I get from gconf-editor. Where is the front of my configuration path ?

Julian Lewis
May 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Well I managed in the end, but then I had other problems. The moral of the story is, if you want a classic system on your netbook, dont install remix. I just installed standard 10.04 from scratch, and that works just fine. It is possible to make a USB key for the desktop version and boot from it on your netbook. My advice is do justb taht if you don't want the UNR GUI.

Rifester
May 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
In the 10.04 Remix version you can select the standard Gnome desktop in the dropdown box at login.

markw10
May 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
I also installed Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 and like the desktop but at times want to use the gnome desktop.
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. When I book into UNR it asks me to either try it or install it. I chose to try it since I'm only running it from a USB Flash Drive and have another OS on my system that I don't want to overwrite.
Is this option not available when running from USB Flash Drive? Once I choose to try UNR it goes straight into UNR with no login screen.
At the upper right of the screen there is a button I can press that opens a menu that has a option that says 'switch from ubuntu' When I select it it logs me off and takes me to a login screen but I have no login name or password. How do I login at this point? I am hoping I may get the desktop option at this time.

agm.
May 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
In the 10.04 Remix version you can select the standard Gnome desktop in the dropdown box at login.

How do you do this? When I log in, it does not offer me that option? I'm trying to go back to the classic view as well. Is there a way to do this?

It seems that the original post didn't figure out a way without doing a clean install of the desktop version.

--Edit--

Ok, I found how to do this! Under the system label in UNR, there is a button for "Log-in". If you click on this, it gives you options on how to log on. You can click which style of log-in you want to use. I was able to chose "gnome-desktop" instead of UNR an I am really happy with this.

Hope this helps future users!

skyway45
June 4th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks, agm! Yes, to switch from Classic to Remix, or back again, go into System> Administration> Login Screen. There you can set your preferences for your next boot up. Thanks again agm!

charly17201
July 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
How do you do this? When I log in, it does not offer me that option? I'm trying to go back to the classic view as well. Is there a way to do this?

It seems that the original post didn't figure out a way without doing a clean install of the desktop version.

--Edit--

Ok, I found how to do this! Under the system label in UNR, there is a button for "Log-in". If you click on this, it gives you options on how to log on. You can click which style of log-in you want to use. I was able to chose "gnome-desktop" instead of UNR an I am really happy with this.

Hope this helps future users!

Thanks, I've been hunting for this answer. After crashing my netbook about 5 times now trying to change the GUI (since I can't get the standard Ubuntu to load) and I hate the UNR GUI. I'm in the midst of reloading UNR now and will try it out shortly.