View Full Version : XUbuntu in wikipedia

dermotti
March 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/XUbuntu

interesting :-k

EDIT: I just noticed that isnt wikipedia lols

Jucato
March 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hmm... I might be the only one seeing this but...

This might pose a future problem. it is not Xubuntu, but is xUbuntu. But no matter what letter you capitalize, it's bound to confuse people.

- Xubuntu - Ubuntu using Xfce
- xUbuntu - a 3rd-party project to make a PC/Xbox enabled version of Ubuntu (as the site says). The site isn't even consistent with how the name is to be spelled: the heading says XUbuntu, but the contents say xUbuntu

I don't know if the author knows about Xubuntu or if he intended to really to do that, for reasons I don't even want to think about. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't know about the real Xubuntu.

EDIT: he does know about Xubuntu (he has a section about it). Why he still chose to name his project XUbuntu/xUbuntu, I don't know. Maybe a better name could have been X-Ubuntu?

Sheinar
March 19th, 2006, 01:42 PM
The site isn't even consistent with how the name is to be spelled: the heading says XUbuntu, but the contents say xUbuntu
That's a technical restriction in the software. MediaWiki shows all headings with a capital first letter.

Jucato
March 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Oh I see. But still, even with the disclaimer that xUbuntu and Xubuntu are not the same, it's still potentially confusing to possible users in the future. For one, they are both aimed to be "lightweight" alternatives. And they both use Xfce.

I don't have anything against new projects such as this. I'm in fact happy that people are using Ubuntu for their own projects. I just find that this will really be confusing for new users.