PDA

View Full Version : Selling Web Hosting

trentscott
May 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I currently run a decent server and am looking at selling web hosting to a few friends. Assuming I purchase a business package through Comcast which allows you to host in accordance with their TOS, is it even possible to set up DNS with only one server box? If I had a second one (for redundancy), wouldn't it need to be offsite anyways? Any recommendations - sensible advice on whether this is a good idea/what I'm looking at??

sandyd
May 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
I currently run a decent server and am looking at selling web hosting to a few friends. Assuming I purchase a business package through Comcast which allows you to host in accordance with their TOS, is it even possible to set up DNS with only one server box? If I had a second one (for redundancy), wouldn't it need to be offsite anyways? Any recommendations - sensible advice on whether this is a good idea/what I'm looking at??yes, it is possible for you to setup DNS with only one server box.

I advise you, if you are going to have a static IP, to use services such as everydns.net or afraid.org.

Those two are quite stable, and I got afraid.org as my primary DNS, and everydns.net as my secondary

trentscott
May 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
yes, it is possible for you to setup DNS with only one server box.

I advise you, if you are going to have a static IP, to use services such as everydns.net or afraid.org.

Those two are quite stable, and I got afraid.org as my primary DNS, and everydns.net as my secondary

Any books/resources you recommend for web hosting specifically? Also, do you use a control panel like Webmin, EHCP, etc?

trentscott
May 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM
bump

dragos240
May 6th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't recommend it on a slow connection.

-grubby
May 6th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't recommend it on a slow connection.

He said he was going to buy the Comcast business package