PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded from Hardy to Lucid

nkei0
May 1st, 2010, 11:06 PM
Alright, I have an older sony vaio that has worked excellently dual booting hardy and windows 7. However, I want to upgrade to Lucid but I'm in a deployed location and cannot access the internet with my laptop. Everything I do has to first be downloaded to a usbstick and then transferred from there. And it's super slow. I've already downloaded unetbootin an .iso of the x386 install (normal not alternate if that is important). It took a week :(

Anyways, I do have my hard-drive partitioned so that my home folder is on a seperate partition, however, will I be able to upgrade this way without losing any data or will it try to install from scratch? I'm scared to try it because I doubt I could get everything set up the way i had it here.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

The Thunder Chimp
May 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you enter a CD that has packages (Deb packages), you can install them. This would make it possible to upgrade without changing to much. However, a lot of things are different between Hardy and Lucid, that may change a few things in your layouts.

Tell me if you have any more questions.

Vaio for the win!

manoynmonic
May 1st, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hey, sorry to disappoint you - but to upgrade via cd, you should have downloaded the alternate cd.

I too migrated from Hardy, everthing went pretty smooth. Using the cd to upgrade was way faster, but a few of my applications got deleted during or had to be removed before I could upgrade. No worries though, they all had newer versions available from the repo once I was back on the internet.

Regarding your data - I didn't lose any, and my /home partition was actually NOT on a separate partition. Just slide in the alternate cd and (IIRC) ubuntu asks if you want to upgrade with it. Make backups of the important stuff of course!