PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AWN Remove a launcher

OpenSourceOfAwesomeness
May 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Ok, I know this must sound like a stupid question, because AWN is a pretty sweet program and no one would release a program like this with such a glaringly obvious hole in the functionality.

I've recently upgraded to Lucid Lynx and installed AWN and I accidentally double clicked on the music applet twice, so I got 2 copies of it in the launcher bar. There doesn't seem to be any way to remove ANYTHING from that launcher bar. The 'Delete' button in the Applets menu is always disabled and I can't drag the applet off of the bar. If I right-click the applet icon I have no remove option.

So, I know it must be in there, but for the life of me I can't find it. How do I remove something I've added to the AWN launcher bar?

OpenSourceOfAwesomeness
May 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ok I'm an idiot. The 'Up' arrow in the applets menu, if for Deactivating the launchers. You pick a launcher icon in the side scrolling list, and then click Up. I'm not crazy about this UI choice, but it does work, and there is a tooltip, so good enough I guess.

Linux is not really that confusing, unless I'm drinking. Which I tend to do.

LinuxLearner123
July 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I just had the exact same issue! I think that the down arrow means to bring an applet "down" from the list to the Active Applets section, and the up arrow to move an applet back "Up" into the list (which is odd, as the list still has the applet in it as available.)
By the way, don't downtalk yourself so much; people have these kinds of issues all the time.

lovelinuxfreedom
July 2nd, 2011, 07:21 AM
That may be very easy. Just as u think. If u want to remove a launcher, just click the one u want to remove, then click the batton which have a up arrow. Have fun with ubuntu!:p

allankelly
August 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for this. I tried everything I could think of, this thread helped.

The fact that you can double-click the list of available applets to add to the list of displayed applets, but you can't double-click the list of displayed applets to remove them is pretty inconsistent too! IMO the up & down arrows should be - and + buttons.

Cheers, al.

Frogs Hair
August 11th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Open the dock preferences to the screen where you added the applet . Select(click on) the extra applet in the box below the applet list and use the arrows to remove the applet . I think up is remove and down is add .

PayPaul
September 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ok I'm an idiot. The 'Up' arrow in the applets menu, if for Deactivating the launchers. You pick a launcher icon in the side scrolling list, and then click Up. I'm not crazy about this UI choice, but it does work, and there is a tooltip, so good enough I guess.

Linux is not really that confusing, unless I'm drinking. Which I tend to do.

OK. I'm a bigger idiot or simply lost in acronym land over here. What is AWN and will it drive me to drinking or solve all my problems and make my life beautiful?

nothingspecial
September 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
It's a dock.

It will neither drive you to drink, nor solve all your problems.

But some people think it looks nice.

PayPaul
September 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's a dock.

It will neither drive you to drink, nor solve all your problems.

But some people think it looks nice.

OK. Here's another dummy question. I always ask myself those when I'm teaching others because there are terms I might understand but others would not.

What's a dock for and how does it improve functionality?

MooseDog
September 23rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
OK. Here's another dummy question. I always ask myself those when I'm teaching others because there are terms I might understand but others would not.

Popularized by Apple, it's that collection of icons sitting at the bottom of the screen. Click one and the software package launches. Very handy IMHO.

May or may not improve your life, but can solve world hunger if used with discretion.

Frogs Hair
September 23rd, 2011, 02:41 PM

Do forum search for the cafe because there has been a few threads dedicated to your question . When I used a dock on 10.04 and 10.10 I could get almost anywhere on my computer from 8 launches and I didn't like to plastering my panel with shortcuts . Using a control panel icon got me to system settings without using a menu .

PayPaul
September 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Popularized by Apple, it's that collection of icons sitting at the bottom of the screen. Click one and the software package launches. Very handy IMHO.

May or may not improve your life, but can solve world hunger if used with discretion.

I see. It's just like the Launcher only on the bottom. Might be handy if I want to go to Windows type behavior. I'm fairly happy with the changes I've made to Launcher although I do still find it a little buggy and slow in response at time. The thing hides itself now but I can't always get it to stay put when I want to use it. A little goofy if you ask me. Hmmm. I wonder if it's the Launcher or my video.

Thanks for that clear explanation.

cheekymonky2010
April 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Just found out, hold Alt+Win key then right click on the icon you want to remove and the option to remove icon is there