PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ie4linux will not install on lucid

nexx
May 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Every times I try to execute ies4linux there is a segmentation fault. If I try to execute install.sh the console briefly appears and then shut down.
Running install.sh was the recomended installation and worked before.

barretr
May 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
Same result here, nexx. Fortunately there's winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks).

Stoneface
May 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have installed IEs4Linux successfully. It was a bit tricky as I had to use a different installation option, but I got it to install. I think it was using:
./ies4linux –no-gui. that did the trick. Maybe http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux can help you guys too if that does not work. My currently installed IEs4Linux | Internet Explorer 6 does sometimes run and sometimes not. Restarting Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.0.4) helps. I do not see any errors in dmesg when it does not start. And it often does not restart properly during the same Gnome session after closing IE6 and trying to restart it. It sometimes crashed too consuming all memory until Ubuntu takes care of the issue with a
$ dmesg | grep -i iexplore.exe
[ 8176.861869] Killed process 2985 (IEXPLORE.EXE) I wonder where the errors are stored when IEs4Linux does not start properly. Another annoying thing is that the mouse pointer often disappears hovering over the page.

nexx
May 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
sylvain@sylvain-laptop:~/programmes/ie4linux$ '/home/sylvain/programmes/ie4linux/ies4linux-2.99.0.1/ies4linux' --no-gui

Just use: ./ies4linux --no-gui instead of: ./ies4linux -no-gui

Had to restart the installation many times because of corrupted data form microsoft.
I also have the same mouse problem: the pointer often disappears when hovering over the page.

BryanFRitt
May 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Still no luck on installation (for me at least)...

./ies4linux

"IEs4Linux 2 is developed to be used with recent Wine versions (0.9.x). It seems that you are using an old version. It's recommended that you update your wine to the latest version (Go to: winehq.com)."

"The program 'ies4linux-gtk.py' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 4392 error_code 9 request_code 65 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)"

./ies4linux --no-gui
"Your wine does not have wineprefixcreate installed. Maybe you are running an old Wine version. Try to update it to the latest version."

wineprefixcreate

The program 'wineprefixcreate' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install wine1.2

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
wine1.2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

p.s. it's ies4linux, not ie4linux

valbaca
June 4th, 2010, 06:06 AM
"Your wine does not have wineprefixcreate installed. Maybe you are running an old Wine version. Try to update it to the latest version."

wineprefixcreate

The program 'wineprefixcreate' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
wine1.2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

p.s. it's ies4linux, not ie4linux

I got to the same error and then tried winetricks. It works perfectly.

fullofbeans
June 10th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Every times I try to execute ies4linux there is a segmentation fault. If I try to execute install.sh the console briefly appears and then shut down.
Running install.sh was the recomended installation and worked before.

I have the same problem can anyone help):P

decoherence
June 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have the same problem can anyone help):P

don't use ies4linux anymore. get winetricks from the repository if you don't already have it. run 'winetricks' at the command line and eventually you'll get a wine window where you can install ie6 and 7 at least.

nexx
June 16th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Tried winetricks, but it is worse than ie4linux, winetricks internet explorer 6 and 7 (yes I have time to waste) both are worse than when I use ie4linux.

I want this for testing my search-engine: www.artimap.com

But now I am so pissed off by internet explorer 6 that I am beginning to think that if some peoples are using that crap to access my website they just can go to H..L :guitar:
Anyway ie6 will be dead soon !!! YOUPPI
Since I am develloping that search-engine alone I do not have time and patience for figuring those microsoft crappy problems.

rtimai
August 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents to nexx's rant two months ago.

I need IE6+ to run on Lucid because my company's Employee Self-Service website requires it for me to submit work schedule requests, leave-of-absences, etc. from home, as well as to check my upcoming schedule, payroll, benefits status, etc. Other browsers with User Agent switchers to "impersonate" IE6 on Windows fail on that website as well.

I tried installing IE6 using ies4linux on Wine 1.0, which worked with Wine 0.9, but broke after that. I tried Wine 1.2, then 1.3, running "FakeIE" which comes in Wine 1.2+, then installing IE6, and later IE7 using winetricks. In short every combination of Wine with every version of IE. Each browser worked as reported on AppsDB, except on my company's employee site, where it either hung, or errored out. The latest error was

Upgrading Files...
Cannot create BCClient ClientHelper. SuperCAB not installed correctly. Error description = Automation server can't create object.

So, there you are... Some people have a REALLY legitimate need for this crappy IE6. Even Microsoft wants IE6 to go away, but there are too many large corporations that find it daunting to migrate their web facilities with such a massive user base to something better. My company has 600+ locations each with multiple workstations. I think most are still running Windows XP. They can't afford the across-the-board hardware or Windows 7 upgrades for all the locations in this economic climate.

BTW, re the above error, I do have CABextract installed. Others report the same error as well, even Windows users. Also, I added the corporate domain to IE Trusted sites, so that's not the issue either.

roman.novacek
September 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi, I have tried wineprefixcreate from google picasa adding to PATH
PATH=$PATH:/opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/bin
and it works.

BigTA78
November 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Have you tried using PlayOnLinux? It's in the standard repositories and installable through the Ubuntu Software Centre.
If you click "Add" once installed, IE6&7 are in there.

nexx
November 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you so much BigTA78, Playonlinux seems wonderful, I now have a working "internet explorer" 6 and 7 installed on ubuntu 10.10 plus safari.
To be able to install both I needed to upgrade playonlinux to the latest version as the one from the depots was not able to install the two versions, I had only ie7 at first. As usual my website www.artimap.com does not works on ie6 :(

oriver
December 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM
open the file: /ies4linux-2.0.5/lib/install.sh with a text editor (gedit).
replace Wineprefixcreate with wineboot, save and close the file.
Then execute with: ./ies4linux
you will find ie6 under your-home/bin folder
run with: ./ie6

spiffymap
March 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
ln -s /usr/bin/winecfg wineprefixcreate
also works.

prscott1
March 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Great! the symbolic link to winecfg did the trick for me. Much appreciated!

simonf87
July 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
sudo apt-get install wine1.0
did the trick for me on natty