PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One media store, the future?

elkikin
May 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM
If Ubuntu One Music Store succeeds in the coming months, do you see it's services expand to other media? I was thinking it would be great to offer, besides music, e-books and possibly even films.

I know this is only the beginning, and things as they are still don't work very well, but let's try to be optimistic and ambitious here for a minute. :P

ssj6akshat
May 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I want Ubuntu One Tv Store,Movie Store and Book Store

ChemicalForce
May 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
i agree with ssj6akshat (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=776417) on the Ubuntu movie store but i order from netflix as of now

Wiebelhaus
May 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Depends on the corporate relationships Canonical creates , the music store is just a re-branded 7.Digital.com , which is the best anyway now that lala.com has been destroyed by Apple.

elkikin
May 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Depends on the corporate relationships Canonical creates , the music store is just a re-branded 7.Digital.com , which is the best anyway now that lala.com has been destroyed by Apple.

Yeah I can understand that. If Canonical eventually makes the decision, and is able to expand their offer in the future, it could be in the form of plug-ins for Evince and Totem, for instance, integrating those apps with 3rd party e-book and film stores. Which, of course, would be awesome. If you want that new manga, or that new novel everyone's talking about, or that film that was just released, just launch Totem or Evince, make the purchase, transfer it, and you're good to go. Plus you could always sync it to your other devices with Ubuntu One.

I was thinking more of a single interface integrating all those services, plus the Music Store, into one. A "Media Store" of sorts. I'm not a developer though, and I have no knowledge of the actual infrastructure needed to make something like this work. With all the problems Ubuntu One is having, would it be feasible to have thousands of users transferring 900 MB avi or mp4 files back and fourth across the "cloud"?

Another thing that I was thinking that could be kind of cool, is to make it easy to share across the social networks the updates of what music/films/books the users are currently buying using Ubuntu's integrated Store( s ). This is something I imagine many users might want to share in Facebook or whatever, plus it would be good publicity for Ubuntu.

FrancoNero
May 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
god, please offer movies on ubuntu one store. enough with all the other proprietary crap, I want an easy, legal way for video on demand for linux, in formats that are high quality and open. i'm willing to pay for that