PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Archive Manager

AZ_HorseTrader
May 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hey All:

I am new to Ubuntu and I am digging it quite a bit. I'm trying to shake the Windows file structure mentality but I am having trouble wrapping my head around installing applications using the Archive Manager.

My biggest question is where to extract them for installation...Any direction or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

D

kolinab
May 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

You don't have to shake windows file structure mentality too much. Everything is organised into folders just like it was in Windows, as I'm sure you've figured out.

There are lots of options for installing software. Sometimes you will see people post code here that you can copy and paste directly into a terminal window. Be careful doing this kind of thing if you're not sure you trust the person who posted the code. However, I am rather careless sometimes copying and pasting terminal commands here and have never had a problem.

I endeavour to use the Package Manager (look under System . . . Administration . . . Synaptic Package Manager) whenever I can. Type in the seach box the kind of program you are looking for, then you can right click on the packages you're interested in and mark them for installation. You can also find software under the Main Menu, under 'Ubuntu Software Center.'

If you download .deb packages from third party websites, you can just stick them in your download directory or even the desktop to install. I always try to find programs I want in the repositories first before using third party sources.

When I was new to Ubuntu I found great resources for installing software here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

I would recommend snooping through that website a good deal. There is some good, well explained advice there.

And post questions here as they come up.

Good luck!

K