PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of pulse audio? (Lucid ) Step by step

bluespider
May 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hello I am a new user of Ubuntu, Currently running Lucid 64 bit.
I just installed it, after having uninstalled Karmic Koala. I was having a lot of problems with the pulse audio in Karmic, now in Lucid it is even worse. While I'm sure the pulse audio is a wonderful thing for people who know how to use it, I don't know how, and frankly it seems complicated as hll. I use My computer for work and I need to be able to record from the jacks and also to record from the output as well ( the line which normally goes to the speakers) I have live inputs coming into the computer thru the jacks and I can't record anything but static. I have searched for a way to remove Pulse audio but all of the tutorials I have found are for different versions of Ubuntu, none of which work for Lucid. I need to get rid of this pulse audio. If someone Knows the right way to do this and could give me step by step instructions on how to do this It would really help me greatly. Or Maybe there is a tutorial for Lucid that I do not know about. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Also I don't know if this helps but my soundcard reads as a SigmaTel stac9227 in the alsa mixer.

HyperFlexed
May 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hello I am a new user of Ubuntu, Currently running Lucid 64 bit.
I just installed it, after having uninstalled Karmic Koala. I was having a lot of problems with the pulse audio in Karmic, now in Lucid it is even worse. While I'm sure the pulse audio is a wonderful thing for people who know how to use it, I don't know how, and frankly it seems complicated as hll. I use My computer for work and I need to be able to record from the jacks and also to record from the output as well ( the line which normally goes to the speakers) I have live inputs coming into the computer thru the jacks and I can't record anything but static. I have searched for a way to remove Pulse audio but all of the tutorials I have found are for different versions of Ubuntu, none of which work for Lucid. I need to get rid of this pulse audio. If someone Knows the right way to do this and could give me step by step instructions on how to do this It would really help me greatly. Or Maybe there is a tutorial for Lucid that I do not know about. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Also I don't know if this helps but my soundcard reads as a SigmaTel stac9227 in the alsa mixer.

from my understanding pulseaudio is for idiots who can't be bothered to set up their sound card. It's supposed to "just work". The irony of this is that it doesn't. (I constantly have to close and re-open programs when the sound randomly stops working, and sometimes I have to close certain apps so others will work).

I second the wish for a guide on getting rid of pulseaudio. I'd rather use ALSA. Guides for older distros don't seem to work.

bowens44
May 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
from my understanding pulseaudio is for idiots who can't be bothered to set up their sound card.

Your understanding is wrong.

pdlethbridge
May 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Have you tried to un-install pulse in synaptic?