PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstalling Compiz disabled Metacity

krantionline
May 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I installed compiz for a further Eye-candy. I set reflections on. This, caused my system to log-out over and over again. So i went to the command prompt through the login screen (Ctrl + Alt + F1), and uninstalled Compiz by command

sudo apt-get remove compiz*Now, when i login, no window manager comes by default, and when i try

metacity --replaceIt replaces the window manager only till the shell is open. Once i close the shell, the window manager also disappears.

Please guide me through to enable the window manager.

dino99
May 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
reinstall ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

drreed
May 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I installed compiz for a further Eye-candy. I set reflections on. This, caused my system to log-out over and over again. So i went to the command prompt through the login screen (Ctrl + Alt + F1), and uninstalled Compiz by command

sudo apt-get remove compiz*Now, when i login, no window manager comes by default, and when i try

metacity --replaceIt replaces the window manager only till the shell is open. Once i close the shell, the window manager also disappears.

Please guide me through to enable the window manager.

Did you reboot in between? I was playing around with that awhile back and similar difficulties. I think I had to log out/reboot, then do a metacity --replace. Maybe you can re-install metacity stuff, go look around in synaptic.

krantionline
May 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Re-installing ubuntu-desktop worked. :KS
But the splash screen for startup is not coming now. It was coming earlier. I get a text based startup, followed by a graphical Login Page. Where should I look for this?