PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded to 10.04 no Plymouth animation??

Jimtuv
May 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and everything went fine. No problems other then there is no animation while booting. It just goes to the login screen (ugly tree ) :( . I have a feeling it has something to do with the nvidia card (fx5200) i am using the 173 driver. Because the screen switches resloutions and no Nvidia screen is showing as in the previous version 9.10. Any ideas on how to fix this?? I did a search and came up with no good answers yet. The Nvidia seems to be working fine everywhere else so far.

manolomanolo
May 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
What's the "Plymouth animation" ?

manoynmonic
May 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
There are a few different plymouth animations you can choose from in synaptic. Install the ones that sound interesting, then:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

There you select the number of the theme you want displayed at boot. After making your selection do:

sudo update-initramfs -u

I don't know if there is an easier way, but that worked for me.

-mn

Jimtuv
May 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM
There are a few different plymouth animations you can choose from in synaptic. Install the ones that sound interesting, then:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

There you select the number of the theme you want displayed at boot. After making your selection do:

sudo update-initramfs -u

I don't know if there is an easier way, but that worked for me.

-mn

I did that and no change. After the grub loads and I chose 10.04 the next thing that shows is just a blank screen and just before the login screen a messed up blue bar shows up at the top of the screen for a second or two then it pops into the loggon and everything looks fine.

Edit: running the live cd I get the plymouth animation just fine.

manoynmonic
May 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
What graphics card are you using? I had an issue with noveau on my nvidia card, and had to load the proprietary driver to get things working right (forgot about that step). Using the proprietary driver requires some additional tweaking to get the animation to display correctly, but works well enough.

If you don't have an nvidia card, then I'm out of ideas :( .

Jimtuv
May 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
I have a Nvidia fx5200 runing the 173 driver.

manoynmonic
May 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
In that case, try disabling the proprietary driver and using the noveau driver (ubuntu will default to that if you turn off the proprietary nvidia driver). Plymouth works best with that anyway (but it broke suspend for me, that's why I stuck with the proprietary driver). Can't hurt to try. Good luck, that's all I got.

Jimtuv
May 2nd, 2010, 02:28 AM
It sort of worked. If I disable the Nvidia 173 then it does show the plymouth animation but I no longer have acceleration. I can't live with out that so that is not an option. I would rather have an ugly boot then that. I hope someone figures this out in an way I don't have to give up either.

topsykretts
May 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
hhmmm..im having the exact same problem..but i have a ATI radeon 3100 gfx card instead..i just get a blinking underscore while booting..any ideas?

Orographic
May 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I get the same thing on my Gigabyte 945GZM-S2 board with an E4300 dual core. Just the blinking cursor in the top right and then the log on screen. Doesn't bother me though. Does it really matter if Plymouth boot splash is missing?

weblayoutstudio
May 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem wirh a nvidia card, I have to more splash screen now, I get a black screen unti lthe login screen.

How to fix this ???

austin.lund
May 4th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I have seemingly the same problem (i.e. blinking cursor). But I've noted that when a routine fsck is done, the animation does appear (when fsck is started).

austin.lund
May 4th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I've got a plymouth debug output from /var/log/plymouth-debug.log using the plymouth:debug boot argument (attached).

Seems it doesn't want to load the renderer, but gives no clues that are obvious to me as to why not.

Jimtuv
May 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Yeah I have been searching everywhere for an answer. The best I have heard is it is a problem with plymouth and video drivers mainly Nvidia.

alh
May 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah I have been searching everywhere for an answer. The best I have heard is it is a problem with plymouth and video drivers mainly Nvidia.

Try this line here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469475

Jimtuv
May 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
It turns out I had a number of problems acting together to cause this. Here is what I did.

First I realized that my grub was not current. I had the old grub not the new grub2 so that was the first thing I fixed following the procedures on this thread:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Next my Nvidia driver was not current so I followed the advice on this thread.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-nvidia-drivers-manually-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx.html

Then I fixed the animation and low resolution from advice from this thread

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lucidubuntu-10-04-high-resolution-plymouth-virtual-terminal-for-atinvidia-cards-with-proprietaryrestricted-driver/

I hope this helps someone. It's not perfect (no acceleration while boot-up but it at least looks ok without making something else nonfunctional.

topsykretts
May 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
looking through the link that "alh" posted, i found this link and it worked for me:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml

hope this helps.