PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnumeric decimal point

Logi505
May 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi,

can someone please tell how can I configure Gnumeric that I will have instead of dots a decimal points. I have all ready tried to install Gnumeric in windows and everything works OK. I was also looking threw settings in Gnumeric under windows environment and try to put the same settings under ubuntu 10.4 with no luck.

Thanks for help.

jbrefort
May 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
What difference do you see between a dot and a decimal point. Both are unicode character 0x2E.

In gnumeric, the decimal separator is locale dependent. Might be a dot or a comma, generally (there might be other characters used in locales I don't know).
The appropriate decimal separator is entered when you use the numpad, at least on linux. There is a gtk bug in win32 which make things not work. Also some keyboard layouts are known to be buggy (they return dot instead of decimal separator).
I hope this help.

Logi505
May 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks fro your reply.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. But the whole problem is if I enter in the column 0,9876 and press enter I get 9876
Now, if I enter a 0.9876 i get 0.9876 just the way I wanted only with " , "
I would like to use gnumeric with , instead of .
Is there a way to do just that.

Thank you for your help.

jbrefort
May 2nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
This is a locale issue. If your locale use the comma as decimal separator, it should work as you wish. What's your locale?

Logi505
May 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for reply.

I know and that is the problem. In calc it uses my locale settings which is EU - Slovenia, which it shows with comma. But in gnumeric I can't configure it to show me a comma.

jbrefort
May 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Try (from the command line):
LC_NUMERIC="sl" gnumeric

If it does not work, do you see any error message?

Logi505
May 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
(gnumeric:5658): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

This is what I get.

jbrefort
May 2nd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Ok, this explains what happens. The locale has not been generated on installation (this is quite weird, btw).

Edit /etc/locale.gen, and remove the '# ' chars of the appropriate line which should be:
# sl_SI.UTF-8 UTF-8
so that it becomes:
sl_SI.UTF-8 UTF-8

(you can do that using sudo gedit /etc/locale.gen).

Then run:
sudo locale-gen

Things should work much better.

Logi505
May 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thank you jbrefort it all works fine now. There was no language support installed on my system. So I installed the language, set language as a English and text as Slo and Gnumeric started to show comma.

But if open /etc/locale.gen there is nothing in it. Is this normal ?

Thanks again for your help

jbrefort
May 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
I suppose it's normal. Anyway, if things work, don't care ;-).
Btw, I'm using Debian, not Ubuntu, so things might be a bit different.

Logi505
May 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
OK, Thanks again for all your help and support.