PDA

View Full Version : Do you opt in to popularity-contest?

Paqman
May 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
And if not, why not?

Seems to me like it collects some very useful information, and I suspect many people simple fail to opt in because it's buried in an obscure part of the installer.

I can understand why it should be opt-in only, but should popcon be made more obvious in the installer? Or is there a good reason to leave it tucked away out of sight?

gnomeuser
May 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
I opt-in, even though I haven't see much come from popcon the graphs are fun and more data is always a good thing.

wojox
May 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
I participate. I figure anything to help out.

Shpongle
May 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
i participate. I figure anything to help out.

+1

Paqman
May 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
The poll kind of confirms what I suspected. More people fail to opt in because they aren't aware if than people who choose to opt out.

I do think it should be made a bit more obvious in the installer. Either that or be opt in by default.

-grubby
May 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Usually, but I couldn't find that option in the Lucid installer, so I had to install popularity-contest.

lukeen
May 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
i wonder why the removed popcon from the installer. also the software center is not using it! i would like to understand that decision...

gnupipe
May 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
No

dearingj
May 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM
No

Why not?

I do.

NMFTM
May 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM
My privacy is important to me. I don't opt into the popularity contest. Besides, if they want to know how many people are downloading packages, they could always just set the servers to measure how many people downloaded X package. Theirs no reason for the information to be recorded from our end.

Sam
May 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
My privacy is important to me. I don't opt into the popularity contest. Besides, if they want to know how many people are downloading packages, they could always just set the servers to measure how many people downloaded X package. Theirs no reason for the information to be recorded from our end.

The whole point of the popularity contest is not counting how many downloads for each packages, but their popularity!

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I do not, but I plan on writing some reviews if the software center gets that kind of functionality.

Paqman
May 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
My privacy is important to me.

I suspected that some might decline to opt in for this reason. It's a misconception though, the data is anonymised.

wojox
May 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
And for those who don't participate and would like to just run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest

mister_playboy
May 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I participate in it... :)