PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to start in console mode?

stoyanmihaylov
May 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Before it was easy - I removed gdm and kdm and my laptop started in console mode.
Now I would like to get same thing - I made upgrade to ubuntu 10.4 and it starts again in graphics mode. I removed from grub menu.lst splash and quit, removed gdm and kdm - and again I receive graphics prompt.
PS
I removed also failsafe-x.

wojox
May 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Where you removed splash and quit put in text see if that helps it?

stoyanmihaylov
May 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks.
I saw something starts gdm - and this make me very unhappy - before we had a chance to control services through /etc/rcX
Now I have no idea how I could control those services.

sisco311
May 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks.
I saw something starts gdm - and this make me very unhappy - before we had a chance to control services through /etc/rcX
Now I have no idea how I could control those services.

Some (most) of the System-V style init scripts were replaced by Upstart jobs (/etc/init).

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart

stoyanmihaylov
May 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks - I will look there.
By the way - putting text - cause starting in text mode.

jcglt
May 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Similar problem here : I cannot start in console mode and I cannot even start in recovery mode where I get a "zebra" like unsynchronized screen. I get the same zebra screen when I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to 6 from a graphic mode screen, which meens my laptop (SIS Mirage 3 graphics) does not work anymore in console mode since I upgrades from 9.10 to 10.04.

stoyanmihaylov
May 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Similar problem here : I cannot start in console mode and I cannot even start in recovery mode where I get a "zebra" like unsynchronized screen. I get the same zebra screen when I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to 6 from a graphic mode screen, which meens my laptop (SIS Mirage 3 graphics) does not work anymore in console mode since I upgrades from 9.10 to 10.04.

I got some more suggestions - kernel mode settings. You can forbid them and then you should start in normal console. But how to forbid - check google.