PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clean install ??

Hagar55
May 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I installed Lucid on both my desktop (aging thing) and my laptop (Dell studio 1737).
Now I have some mixed results , startup on both machines is slow due to GRUB taking ages to figure things out...?

The desktop was a clean Karmic install, the laptop was a Jaunty upgradid to Karmic (already lost some speed there...).

Now the laptop refuses to show the screen brightness indicator and some other small things, desktop seems to be behaving but I kind of get the feeling that's it's not ideal.

I'm thinking of clean installing both of them.
Now for the desktop I was wondering if I can keep the home partition I made or would it be better to just start clean over with everything ?
Both are a dual boot with windows, XP on the desktop, Vista an the laptop (needed for work).

Now the laptop is a different question , I can have the desktop go down for a few days while I tinker it back to life. The laptop however needs to stay online, I cannot afford to lost it for a few days.
It runs 32 bit right now, but the CPU (Intel P8600) should be able to run 64 bit, is it worth upgrading when I clean install it and if so, do I need to wipe the Home partition as well or can I keep it and will it upgrade the neccesary files ?

Hagar55
May 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Anyone ?

razy60
May 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
In vista reformat the ubuntu partition reformat it to ntfs then extend your vista partition. reboot and reinstall, resize your drive at the prompt.
Clean installs always seem to work best.
Don't forget to back up all your valuable work onto a external storage medium.

Raz