PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 9.10 to 10.4 doesn't work + Fresh install neither!

Ederico
May 1st, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hello,

Basically, I have a laptop and a desktop pc. Trying to get 10.4 running on both did wonders on both, and I'm being sarcastic.

I mainly use my laptop. My desktop pc has had problems with Kubuntu for quite a while. In fact an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 led me to a system that doesn't work. I didn't bother trying seriously to fix that, since my laptop worked fine. The problem is always at the login, it didn't login. I ended up with some login loop. Now, since 10.4 is out I tried a fresh install by removing the previous Kubuntu altogether. The system is stuck prior to the login screen when there's that window in the centre of the screen with the HDD, tools and some other icons progressively lighting up (I guess that's called the splash screen?). What happens is that there is some kind of loop there and I'm constantly taken to that screen. A fresh install doesn't even make it to the login screen!

Hey, I thought it could be a problem with the installation, so I tried using the Live CD. Same problem. I tried burning another Kubuntu 10.4 CD, the result is identical!

By the way, I notice some graphic problem. The initial screen with Kubuntu has like three different distorted layers of blue, which I know shouldn't be there.

If anyone could help with that.

I have problems with my laptop too, but I'll leave them for later since I cannot use it at the moment since I'm partitioning my external drive with it to try a 10.4 fresh install on that.

Ederico
May 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
P.S. I don't really know my technical specifications, if you think they're needed I need to know how to find them!