PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Wheel Mouse Button Action in Nautilus

brizboy
May 1st, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the Absolute Beginners Forum about a week ago and have had no replies so I am hoping that some kind soul on this sub-forum Might help me

I am trying to use my Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse (it has left button, right button and the wheel button) in Ubuntu 9.04.

I would like to use the wheel button to perform the same task as backspace key (or alt left) in nautilus file browser ie go back to previous folder. I have hunted around the net for the past two weeks and found many articles on imwheel and editing x11config files but they all are for 5 of 7 button mice. I have installed and used imwheel -c which tells me that it is "wheel: Left Button 6".

However as a total beginner with Linux I am not sure what to do from here. I am hoping that someone would be kind enough to give me a reasonably detailed explanation of what I need to do. If someone could spend some time to list what files I need to edit and what I need to insert into them for this mouse I would be grateful.

I have posted on other forums and they suggest going to:

System Settings>Computer Administration Settings>Keyboard & Mouse
But the only button options there are to change left/right hand.

I don't want to start messing with these files by myself and destroy my installation so any help would be appreciated.

I would like to make Ubuntu my main OS. Most of the other problems or queries I have been able to sort out by googling

Thank you