PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm stuck at the terminal. Yes i know that the password doesnt show when you enter it

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 04:20 AM
I'm just stuck at the terminal, I try typing it, and i can't even hit enter. I've even changed my password and I still can't get it. I've been looking around but can't find it, figure i would make a new thread.

Thanks

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 04:47 AM

slvr42
May 1st, 2010, 04:51 AM
Can you boot into single user mode or safe mode?

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
Yes, I can. I got passed the command prompt part already, i just can't enter my password

slvr42
May 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM
So you can boot into single user mode and you get a root prompt. But at that point it will not let you enter a password?

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 05:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nG83v.png

yes, at this screen, i cannot type anything.

philodice
May 1st, 2010, 05:20 AM
Have you made sure your mouse and keyboard and snugly plugged in?

slvr42
May 1st, 2010, 05:20 AM
If you hit the numlock key on your keyboard does the light come on and off? I was thinking maybe your keyboard is not responding at all. Another thing to try would be to interrupt the boot process and see if you can type anything.

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 05:24 AM
yea, everything is plugged in, im typing on here. I dont have a num lock light, its wireless, but the usb receiver is blinking. And i know its reading it because when i type the insertion point stops blinking, i type the password and hit enter, and i can't, so i click log in and i get authentication failure

slvr42
May 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM
any particular error message that goes along with the authentication error.

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 05:30 AM
Nope, nothing else pops up

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 05:55 AM
ive even tried installing it on a separate vm. I also have fedora and it works fine.

ugm6hr
May 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Have you got a wired keyboard to use? PS2 if possible.

It sounds like you can use the keyboard in recovery mode, but not in the Desktop Environment.

Trying a different keyboard would at least help to isolate where the problem is.

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 08:11 AM
Have you got a wired keyboard to use? PS2 if possible.

It sounds like you can use the keyboard in recovery mode, but not in the Desktop Environment.

Trying a different keyboard would at least help to isolate where the problem is.
no wired keyboards here

but i can see that ubuntu is noticing that i am typing something because the insertion point stops blinking when i type.

Peter09
May 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Can you move the cursor, if so can you select a recovery terminal at the bottom of the screen?

SnugNuts
May 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM
Can you move the cursor, if so can you select a recovery terminal at the bottom of the screen?
yes, the cursor works. and i dont see a recovery terminal.

KMThompson
May 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nG83v.png

yes, at this screen, i cannot type anything.

I am having a similar problem. I updated from 9.10 to 10.04 and cannot login at this GUI or press Enter either. I also tried a fresh install on a separate vm and am having the same problem there (I run both on VMs). The workaround I found to log in is to boot into recovery mode, then drop to a root shell prompt & reset my password. Then I 'exit' and resume normal boot. I have to log in still in text console mode and 'startx' my way to the GUI, but it gets me there. Have you tried this?