PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 killed my toshiba laptop!!!

twallace
May 1st, 2010, 04:15 AM
After my 2nd attempt to install from a CD my screen is now blank, my cooling fan is on full blast, and my hard drive light is on!

Tried another hard drive from a different machine running Windows XP and the same thing happens. Also tried loading the ISO CD again but it won't read that as well.

HELP!!! I have no clue on this one...??? :frown:

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
So now I have tried removing the RAM cards as suggested and still no luck.

Really need some help on this one now to get my computer running again, anyone???

eyelessfade
May 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Weird problem. Try resetting your bios.

drizzt001
May 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Lucid won't boot on my Toshiba Satellite Pro A40 either. The screen just goes black and the fan makes a grinding noise every minute or so. Thankfully I can still boot from the 9.10 CD so going to try reinstalling that. Really hope you find a solution to your issue.

davidmohammed
May 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
When starting from the live CD can you describe how far through the startup to the desktop is achieved?

If it stops with blinking cursors etc, can you try switching on various options like "noapic" and "noacpi".

allstar123
May 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
damn.

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Weird problem. Try resetting your bios.

Would love to but I have a blank screen so I don't know how this would be possible?

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
When starting from the live CD can you describe how far through the startup to the desktop is achieved?

If it stops with blinking cursors etc, can you try switching on various options like "noapic" and "noacpi".

The CD dosen't read at all now, already tried to boot from it...

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM

I actually got 10.04 running after the 1st install, all the problems happened when trying to fix my resolution from the 800 setting.

uRock
May 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Would love to but I have a blank screen so I don't know how this would be possible?

You reset BIOs right by going into bios before the bootloader starts. BIOS isn't part of the OS. Usually hitting esc or F2 will take you to the BIOS menu.

davidmohammed
May 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I actually got 10.04 running after the 1st install, all the problems happened when trying to fix my resolution from the 800 setting.

eh? it worked initially then you changed something. Now it wont boot from live CD? That doesn't make sense.

Sounds like you've got a very poorly and possibly dying PC.

What changes did you do after you did the initial installation that worked?

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
You reset BIOs right by going into bios before the bootloader starts. BIOS isn't part of the OS. Usually hitting esc or F2 will take you to the BIOS menu.

Have tried this already but the screen is blank, as soon as the laptop is powered up the cooling fan goes on high and is non responsive to any keyboard commands. The light for the hard drive is on solid as well, that's why I tried another hard drive with XP on it with no change. The CD drive is also non responsive as I have tried loading in the ISO CD and powering up the computer with nothing happening.

davidmohammed
May 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
if as you say that it happens as soon as the laptop is switch on, then its not lucid thats the issue. Its your laptop that sounds decidedly broke. If you cant get into the bios, then the laptop is very broke.

Suggest remove all the memory and install one at the time to see if one or more of the memory modules is the issue.

twallace
May 2nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
eh? it worked initially then you changed something. Now it wont boot from live CD? That doesn't make sense.

Sounds like you've got a very poorly and possibly dying PC.

What changes did you do after you did the initial installation that worked?

I know it makes no sense, I have never had something like this happen before! The hard drive isn't very old as I upgraded not long ago from a 60gb Toshiba that died to a 120gb WD, I also upgraded the RAM at the same time from 512 to 1meg. Computer has been running fine so I don't think it picked the same time I upgraded to 10.04 to die, would be like hitting the lotto with those odds.

1st install from the ISO CD worked fine except the screen resolution was too low at 800, the same as when I installed 9.04 and had to change it. Started going into my config stuff to change it and was having no luck. Did a 2nd install of the ISO CD that went fine, removed the CD and rebooted into a blank screen ever since...

davidmohammed
May 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
still sounds that you've won the worst kind of lotto!

if the bios isn't displayed then the laptop is fried - something is loose - chip is not seated, harddrive isnt cabled, memory modules not seated. If you've checked these and still no luck, then a visit to a laptop clinic is required...

njsharp
May 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
I am fortunate that 10.04 LTS final has not killed my Toshiba Satellite A10 (~2003 vintage) but it certainly won't install the i386 standard release. I haven't tried the netbook release yet - not even sure if that would be appropriate.

I have tried the CD and the DVD. The CD reaches UBUNTU with dots underneath going red then white, until they all go and stay red. Then activity dies and the screen goes blank. Putting back my 9.04 HD boots and runs OK, so no HW damage seems to be done.

I've done some of the obvious. Run memtest on its quite new 1Gb stick. Checked both optical discs with the boot time tester. And as I write I am installing the DVD on another machine (a very modern MSI motherboard tower). OK so far, and gone way past the point it failed on the Toshiba.

The DVD offered text only install. Not sure how to get that from the CD version. Text install showed that during the base install, some alleged corruption errors were found by debootstrap in several files, and the install had failed.

Just my 2c worth so far. More later if appropriate. Is there something in 10.04 that Toshiba laptops can't run, I wonder?

ieee488
May 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Just my 2c worth so far. More later if appropriate. Is there something in 10.04 that Toshiba laptops can't run, I wonder?
Going to a blank screen has been a problem.

There is a thread with 2 solutions for it; one of which worked for my laptop with Intel video chipset.

twallace
May 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
Going to a blank screen has been a problem.

There is a thread with 2 solutions for it; one of which worked for my laptop with Intel video chipset.

Could you post the thread?

njsharp
May 3rd, 2010, 01:36 AM
More

The tower install of i386 was OK, so it seems there is a fight between the i386 release and my Toshiba.

I re-ran the install from the CD on the Toshiba with F6 (but no options selected) and then removed splash and replaced quiet by verbose. The first attempt failed at something like:

"speech dispatch configured for ..."

and the second attempt bombed out a little earlier, just after something about not finding a codec.

Doest that help someone who knows the installer to point a finger at a piece of the sw?

I'm now downloading the netbook remix of 10..04

more later

njsharp
May 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Netbook install dies at seemingly much the same place as standard i386. Looks like I'm leaving that machine on 9.04 for now!

Hope someone can resolve these Toshiba issues.

twallace
May 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
if as you say that it happens as soon as the laptop is switch on, then its not lucid thats the issue. Its your laptop that sounds decidedly broke. If you cant get into the bios, then the laptop is very broke.

Suggest remove all the memory and install one at the time to see if one or more of the memory modules is the issue.

Pulled both memory cards and tried one each in different slots, no change...

uRock
May 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Throw a shot of 1800 Silver in there and strike a match!

Just kiddin':P

rocky9191
May 3rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
Could you post the thread?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ubuntu-10-04-lts-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup.html

I got my answer here, option 2 worked for my laptop.
I have IBM R51.

canerunner
May 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
I used to have a Toshiba that did something similar. I talked to a tech that told me to disconnect the power supply, pull the battery, and then hold the power button down for at least 10 seconds.It should drain all of the capacitors and discharge the main board.

Reconnect and reinstall everything, and then try to boot it again. If that doesn't work, pull the battery and try to boot it. If none of that works, you probably need a computer repairman or a new computer. I really believe that the problem is your hardware, and not the OS.

njsharp
May 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks to the poster here of the link about using modeset=0 and xforcevesa, I was finally able to install 10.04 on Toshiba Satellite A10. Clearly there are still challenges. It seems the driver for that machine's Intel chipset is not right yet. My feeble attempts to make a suitable xorg.conf resulted in back to square 1. I want to use all those chips 2048 x 2048 for dual head. I might wait awhile on 9.04 (never succeeded with 9.10 - same problems?). It is very tedious to trial a new xorg.conf only to get a black screen, then reboot to 'try without installing' in order to access the HD from the CD boot up, and attempt to fix xorg.conf! Arrgh!

Just to be completely explicit, my success resulted from:
1 boot from install CD, hit any button to get menu, hit enter for English
2 down key to get 'install'
3 F6 to bring up boot time options
4 remove quiet and splash and replace by...
5 i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa
6 enter, then the usual stuff

Good luck to those of you who seem to have HW damaged by 10.04

twallace
May 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Any ideas folks? Would really like to get my laptop working again...](*,)

GRETANIKOS
May 6th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Did you tried to remove the backup bettery?

twallace
May 6th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Did you tried to remove the backup bettery?

No. Do you know where it's located on a A25-S279?