PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia GeForce MX 2

Omcon
May 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know of any older version of Ubuntu (or, dare I say it, another distro) that would work with this graphics card? This is listed as a legacy device but all the drivers I've used in the past have not worked. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. :)

Omcon
May 4th, 2010, 03:11 AM
*bump*

techunit
May 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Not that I know off. Legacy devices are generally supported pretty well though at least I though so.

xzero1
May 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I have used that card before with Ubuntu. Can't really say which version but Feisty Fawn (7.04) was my first.

Omcon
May 5th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Well, I've used it before, but I can't ever get a resolution higher than 800x600 or enable 3D effects, that sorta thing. I've posted on here about it before, but nothing ever worked. That's why I was asking about alternatives. Older versions, other distros, etc. I've always wanted to use Linux, but this is the only thing holding me back currently. That, and I don't have the money to get a new computer. Once I do get one, however, I'm slappin some Ubuntu on it first thing. Hah!

xzero1
May 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that compiz and games worked and the resolution was fine. Of course you would need the proprietary drivers installed. Also it is possible to try these drivers using only the live cd on some distros. The basic trick involved restarting X instead of a complete reboot.

Omcon
May 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Well, I'm gonna try it again. We'll see what's up this time. I'll give you guys a running tally. Downloading the newest version now. Hopefully we can get something working this time.