PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please Help?

ivitalityi
May 1st, 2010, 02:45 AM
Im trying to install the new 10.04 from a cd. I burn the cd boot it up on my computer and try to install and this message comes up
"This kernel requites an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU." I have no idea what this means because there is only 2 options for the install and i've tried both of them (meaning the 32 bit and 64 bit. Also a little side note I did have 8.04 on this computer and tried installing 10.04 via terminal and now its all jazzed up so i cannot log on or anything, it is just a black screen the whole time. PLEASE HELPPP (sorry if i posted in wrong category)

PhilGil
May 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM
Have you downloaded the i386 ISO, burned it to disk and tried to install? I'm pretty sure that's what you need.

ivitalityi
May 1st, 2010, 03:06 AM
do i just do what i have been doing except with that iso? burn pop it in restart hit F12 then boot off disk to install?

PhilGil
May 1st, 2010, 03:15 AM
Do the same thing you already tried, but use the i386 (32-bit) ISO. I think you just downloaded and are trying to install the wrong version for your processor.

ivitalityi
May 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM
thanks! ill try it and get back to you. if not is there anyway to get older version? because like i said i was running 8.04 (hardy) and then i tried to update w/ terminal and it messed up my computer so if anything maybe there is a way to get back to it?