PDA

View Full Version : I just saw "V for Vendetta" tonight.

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I took my wife to see V for Vendetta tonight, and recommend that others see it as well. It is not an attack on the US government, or an endorsement of terrorism. Rather, the film's message is the same message delivered to King George III a couple hundred years ago: government exists because the people tolerate it.

mstlyevil
March 19th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Sounds interesting. Will have to check it out soon.

pharcyde
March 19th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I saw this yesterday. It is a good film and I recommend others to see it as well.

darkmaze
March 19th, 2006, 05:19 AM
it's also a comic book.

bored2k
March 19th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I'm currently reading Alan Moore's original V for Vendetta graphic novel, and I must say it really is a feast for the eye. Although I have yet to see the feature film, I heard they had to downplay some of V's anarchism and such. I'm highly looking forward to it.

And no, I won't see the film until I'm done with the graphic novel, even if it takes me weeks for it. Not that it's long, it's just that when I _do_ sit down for it, I'm usually a slow reader. On top of that, when I read it, I'm usually not in the best of states, so I get sleepy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta_%28film%29#Differences_from_graphic _novel

aysiu
March 19th, 2006, 05:31 AM
If you enjoy the V for Vendetta graphic novel, rush out and read Alan Moore's Watchmen right afterwards! You'll be in for a treat.

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 05:34 AM
If you enjoy the V for Vendetta graphic novel, rush out and read Alan Moore's Watchmen right afterwards! You'll be in for a treat.

I plan on buying Watchmen after I buy and read Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.

aysiu
March 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Stormy Eyes, is your "location" a reference to the club of X-Men notoriety?

Qrk
March 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM
While on the subject of anti-government comic books, be sure to read "Maus" by Art Spiegelman

poofyhairguy
March 19th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I liked the movie a lot too. If Ms. Portman would have acted that well in Star Wars than the last trilogy wouldn't have been as bad as it was......

ndhskp
March 19th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Alan Moore is the author of v, cool! I am a big fan of Alan Moore but mostly through Lobo comics. Alan did a series called Lobo a while back as well as one shots with Lobo. Check out Lobo. I will have to see this movie. I also have the watchmen but I never got through it, too long.

LinuxKid
March 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I wonder how much programming goes on with all this reading

not that taking a break and reading is a bad thing!

GeneralZod
March 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Seconding this through the roof :) Both "V for Vendetta" and "Watchmen" are absolutely top-notch.

knalle
March 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
hurra! a movie, those two titles opened a world of Alan Moore for me :-) can't wait to see it

Rule
March 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I just watched it today and thought it was a great moive :) I jut might go see it again this weekend :mrgreen:

bonzodog
March 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Europe sits patiently for movie to open here.....

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Stormy Eyes, is your "location" a reference to the club of X-Men notoriety?

Not at all. The Hellfire Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hellfire_Club) is much older than the X-Men. And, aside from the movies, I'm not a X-Men fan.

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I liked the movie a lot too. If Ms. Portman would have acted that well in Star Wars than the last trilogy wouldn't have been as bad as it was......

It's not all Ms. Portman's fault. There's only so much an actress in dire need of a sandwich can do between a green screen and an incompetent director like George Lucas.

aysiu
March 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Not at all. The Hellfire Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hellfire_Club) is much older than the X-Men. And, aside from the movies, I'm not a X-Men fan. Thanks for the background! That's really interesting.

It's not all Ms. Portman's fault. There's only so much an actress in dire need of a sandwich can do between a green screen and an incompetent director like George Lucas. I'm with you on this one. George Lucas must have been at fault. After all, Hayden Christensen was excellent in Life as a House, and Ewan McGregor's had many fine roles, including Trainspotting.

I can almost picture Lucas standing behind the camera yelling, "No, no, no. Not robotic enough. You really have to deliver that line with less feeling. More monotone, please."

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I can almost picture Lucas standing behind the camera yelling, "No, no, no. Not robotic enough. You really have to deliver that line with less feeling. More monotone, please."

Actually, I think he let his grandkids do the directing.

phen
March 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
stormy, your last sentence in the first post reminds me of one of einsteins popular sentences, translated by myself: The state is there for the people, not the people for the state. during summer, it was written in large letters on the bundeskanzleramt (house of our boss, the chancellor)
It is good to remember that from time to time :-)

potrick
March 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Hey Phen, why does your location say "Berlin, Europe" as opposed to "Berlin, Germany"? Are you trying to say something about your loyalty to the EU or do you just think most North Americans wouldn't know where Germany is?

mstlyevil
March 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hey Phen, why does your location say "Berlin, Europe" as opposed to "Berlin, Germany"? Are you trying to say something about your loyalty to the EU or do you just think most North Americans wouldn't know where Germany is?

We know where Germany is. Some of our favorite foods come from there. (Hamburger, Hotdogs, Bratwurst, Saurkraut, and most of all BEER.) :)

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
It is good to remember that from time to time :-)

You're right, but it's better to remember it all of the time when dealing with the state, and to send those in power a little reminder from time to time to keep them from getting uppity: Remember your place while you still have one.

WelterPelter
March 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Loved it. Refreshing to see something with some teeth.

Iandefor
March 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm with you on this one. George Lucas must have been at fault. After all, Hayden Christensen was excellent in Life as a House, and Ewan McGregor's had many fine roles, including Trainspotting.

I can almost picture Lucas standing behind the camera yelling, "No, no, no. Not robotic enough. You really have to deliver that line with less feeling. More monotone, please." Basically? Yeah. My Grandad taught Lucas how to edit film- apparently, he's a fine video editor. But in terms of directing? Not so much. I've never really liked his films, and Star Wars always felt like he was advertising for Joe Campbell's "Hero With a Thousand Faces" more than he was producing a series of movies.