PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] should I upgrade to 64bit or stay with 32bit Lynx

RedRat
May 1st, 2010, 12:43 AM
I have been running 32 bit Hardy (8.04) for the past 2 years on my Dell. I have two questions:
1) Can I upgrade from 32 bit Hardy to 64 bit Lynx?
2) Do I upgrade from a downloaded disk or through Synaptic.

When 8.04 came out and I was running 7.10, the upgrade was through Synaptic. So far I have not noted the usual message from Synaptic that the new release is available. What to do?

BTW, my machine can handle the 64bit version.

oldos2er
May 1st, 2010, 01:03 AM
If you want 64-bit you will have to do a fresh install; there is no upgrade.

RedRat
May 1st, 2010, 01:06 AM
If you want 64-bit you will have to do a fresh install; there is no upgrade.
Thanks, I suspected that would be the case. Oh, well, I have been moving all my documents from my home directory to attached drives. Probably best to do a clean install anyway after upgrades from 7.10 to 8.04 and now to 10.04.

Thanks, again.

eveningsky339
May 1st, 2010, 02:16 AM
Every 64-bit installation of Ubuntu I have tried (9.04 onward, including Lynx) has given me nightmares. No recognition of my USB mouse, iPod, or even my CD drive. Plus countless software packages not working or half working.

The problem with 64-bit is that in the end, it depends on the machine. My machine is 64-bit compatible but it obviously isn't too happy about it. Yours may be amazing.

Slim Odds
May 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM
Every 64-bit installation of Ubuntu I have tried (9.04 onward, including Lynx) has given me nightmares. No recognition of my USB mouse, iPod, or even my CD drive. Plus countless software packages not working or half working.

The problem with 64-bit is that in the end, it depends on the machine. My machine is 64-bit compatible but it obviously isn't too happy about it. Yours may be amazing.

Sounds like quite an exaggeration to me. I've been using 64 bit since 8.10 and had no such problems. The typical difficulty is drivers for hardware devices, but CD drives are pretty generic and should not be an issue.

I use a USB mouse and my iPod works fine. Is there something strange about your hardware?

Yes, mine is amazing. More stable than 32 bit and fast. 8 gig of RAM is great also.