PDA

View Full Version : Why is p2p killing my cable connection?

dermotti
March 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Seems like any time i open edonkey it will run for about an hour, then my cable modem will get killed, and i will have to powercycle it.

Now if i que up downlaods froma certain website, i can pull down 600kps for days and the modem doesnt kill.

I assume it has somethign to do with so many connections trying to take place, not the fact that im tearin through tons of bandwidth.

Am i correct on this?

Is there a resolution?

Are there better cable modems for handing p2p?

Stormy Eyes
March 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Seems like any time i open edonkey it will run for about an hour, then my cable modem will get killed, and i will have to powercycle it.

Better read your provider's terms of service; you may be violating their policy, and their forcing you to powercycle your modem is their way of saying, "Bad kitty! Stop that!"

taurus
March 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Good thing that you only have to power cycle your cable modem instead of getting one of those letters from RIAA or MPAA... Then, you will need a power attorney for that!!! :-k

prizrak
March 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
It's your UL's. My provider, Optimum, make UL bandwidth shared and when you UL alot they put a cap on your UL's. Your provider might just block you from the network temporarily.

mrfishhat
April 6th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I hate to bump a thread that is over 2 years old, but google led me to this question and i am actually having the same problem, however it happens the SECOND azureus starts. every time, even a wine'd utorrent has the same result the moment a torrent client comes on then it happens.

tamoneya
April 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM
some network hardware does a poot job of handling the multple connections that a torrent client makes. The torrent client connects to many people at once (this is the point of the protocol). Some routers (linksys) and modems will lock up since they cant handle all the simultaneous connections and require a reboot.