PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install Lucid

eveningsky339
April 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM
If 64-bit software didn't exist, I would be happily posting this on my new 10.04 installation. Alas, no luck.

Once upon a time I had a nice 32-bit Karmic installation, but after a conversation with a friend, he encouraged me to try the 64-bit version, as my machine is 64-bit compatible. I was wary, after having some issues with 64-bit Windows, but I figured Ubuntu would be better...

So I install 64-bit Karmic. It does not recognize my mouse. It does not recognize my iPod. It is slower than Christmas when booting up. I was not happy with it at all, but Lucid was just around the corner, so I sucked it up for a while.

My friend said he would burn me a copy, since I would be at work all day and he was already torrenting. After work I went over and was horrified when he handed be a 64-bit version of Lucid. However, he insisted that Lucid would be better, 64-bit would be fine, etc etc. So I go to install, and... Lucid couldn't. Because it couldn't mount my CD Drive. Surprise surprise.

As it stands, I am downloading Lucid 32-bit on my wife's XP machine. It's a little shameful to be using Window$ in order to even obtain a workable copy of Ubuntu, but this is how it has to be.

You can bet I'm downloading 32-bit this time. I think I've done enough time with 64-bit horrors.

zipperback
May 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM
What are the specifications for your computer? What is the exact kind of processor that you have?

Did you check the md5checksum of the .iso file before you burned it? Did it properly verify as matching the md5checksum?

Did you verify the installation media prior to running the installation?

Were you able to boot the 64bit Ubuntu Lucid livecd on this system? And if so, were you able to use the system as intended or did you experience problems with your hardware in the LiveCD environment?

I'm running Lucid 64bit on my primary machine and its very stable and solid. I would be happy to try and assist you in getting your machine up and running if possible. I'm pretty sure that others here would be willing to help as well.

- zipperback
:popcorn: